Quantcast

Controlling DirecTV DVR with Google TV App

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by uscpsycho, Jul 7, 2013.

1. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

I can control my DirecTV DVR with my Vizio Co-Star remote control. And I can control my Co-Star with the Google TV App from my Android phone. But I can't seem to control my DirecTV DVR from the Google TV App.

The app has DVR controls but I can't get them to work with my DVR. Any suggestions?

Also, how is the phone supposed to control the DirecTV DVR anyway? Does it send control signals over WiFi like the Android DirecTV Remote app does, or does the Google TV app trigger Costar's own remote to send IR signals to the DVR?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If you have a up to date ESP smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, Samsung Note 2, (Coming Soon Note 3, Jedi ESP smart device, my next phablet) and a few others, they all have infra Red for controling most TV set top boxes ...

• Like Like x 2
  3. uscpsycho

uscpsycho New Member

Welp, that would explain it. I have an S3.

There are several apps out there that can control DirecTV DVR's over WiFi. Since the app is controlling the GTV over WiFi they should have made it possible to control the DVR over WiFi as well. There are very few phones with IR emitters while every phone works on WiFi.

So here's a question for you guys. If you are using the Google TV App, can it do 30 second skip forward/back? As far as I can tell this is impossible to do with the Vizio Costar remote so that's my only real motivation for wanting to use the GTV app. If the skip forward/back commands are available in the app I would actually consider upgrading my phone just to get this functionality.

How do I thank people on the message board? Or do I need more seniority before I can start thanking people?