Quantcast

content from external HDD

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by nowheremen22, Dec 30, 2013.

1. nowheremen22

nowheremen22 New Member

How do I get content from an external HDD to my co-star? I have a Seagate 3TB external with a lot of music and video that I would love to have access to. Specifically, I've got every known episode of Doctor Who and would love to be able to view them on the "big screen." Is this something that can be done with the co-star. I tried connecting it via the usb and all I get is a notice, "Preparing USB storage "Seagate Backup Plus Drive." Any help is appreciated.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

After preparation is complete, you should get a message USB storage has been synced. If that doesn't happen, it may be the Co-Star can't deal with drives that large or there is some other reason the Co-Star can't access the drive. One other way to play the content could be to connect the drive to a PC on the network, install a Plex server on the PC and use the Play Store Plex client app to play it over the network. How well that will work may be dependent of file types used and PC processing power. Is the drive formatted NTFS?

3. nowheremen22

nowheremen22 New Member

Thanks Chris! I'm glad you responded. An update for you.... I eventually did get the sync message you mentioned. I then did a little digging around and found the playpoint app. Sure enough all the files were there for my use. However, wait for it, all it did was take every file from every folder, alphabetize them and spit them out at me. In my Doctor Who example, if I wanted to watch the first ever episode, I'd have to know that it was called, "An Unearthly Child", and search until I found it. Then I sadly discovered that it won't play any of the videos. Not sure what format they're in, but it won't play them. What's worse, is some of them it will even give me a thumbnail of the video! You can do that, but you can't play it? LOL I'm going to look into that Plex program on my weekend and see what it's all about. Oh, All the music played just fine. Again, it was all just thrown together, but at least it played. I couldn't pause anything...or stop anything...or skip to another song... but hey, it played. :) Anyway, thanks again for the reply. Back to the drawing board.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the PlayPoint app, I use ViMu to play files from USB connected drives and Plex or PlayOn to play files from drives connected to network computers. Everything works great but I don't have drives that large and all files are MPEG-4. Although I have a Vizio Co-Star, I don't use it for file access, I use the Sony Google TV models which I believe are much better media players.