Quantcast

Content For Cord Cutters Is Going To Get Harder To Find, Industry Executive Predicts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 29, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Content for cord cutters is going to get harder to find, industry executive predicts — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Stacey Higginbotham - March 28, 2013

SUMMARY: The TV industry knows that broadband changes its business, but it can't adapt quickly. That's why the CEO of Conviva expects cord cutters to suffer higher fees and less content in the short term.

-- "While millions of cord cutters are eagerly awaiting their chance to subscribe to HBOGo, the CEO of the company that helps ensure that HBO's over the top content looks good is skeptical about when that might happen. Darren Feher, the CEO of Conviva, thinks things will get worse for cord cutters before they get better.

Instead of watching Game of Thrones via an a la carte HBOGo subscription, they'll face higher fees for content aggregators like Netflix and Hulu and will find more content inaccessible unless they have a pay TV subscription, he thinks. Even Hulu's backers have toyed with making the site accessible only to those who have a pay TV subscription."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have seen the concerns that Hulu will change its service for some time now. I sure hope that doesn't happen because right now, I am getting by just fine as a cord cutter with various streaming boxes and the only pay services are various PPV movie rental services.

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

My Cox bill reached $189.00 this month. At first I thought that it was because I added a couple of premium channels. But my last two bills was over $200.00. I really can't figure this out. I'm getting close go cutting the cord. I'm retired military & have lived w/cable which I turn off every now & then just to take advantage of any new deals offered within the next month. But why should I have to continue to do this? Why can't they stop offering introductory incentives that kill off their longtime customers?

If they would reward subscribers w/discounts for loyalty, wouldn't that change the nature of the game? If I don't get a discount but I stay w/them for 3 months, offer a discount for me to stay. Instead they make deeper cuts into their own bottom line by offering greater discounts for new users. Who pays for these new users? They are gaining new users on the backs of their most loyal customers. So the older customers add it up & realize even w/the early disconnect fees they will save more w/the discounts they can obtain by coming back 30 days later as a new customer. They offer a new user a 6 month discount and charge $47.00 for dropping their service. But my bill increased within the first year beyond the fee. Of course I'm gonna pay the fee and wait for em to offer me the lesser subscription fee. One time I didn't even have to wait. They sent me a FedEX package that gave me a 50% discount for the whole year! But they listed me as a new customer for the stock advantage. Each month they can report new users even tho they pushed us out by the increase on our monthly bill. And this is a privately owned company!

Just tired of the shell game...

Carl

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

A promotion for a new subscriber is a loss leader, hoping to gain a long term customer and recoup the loss and eventually make a profit. I don't see how that is killing off the longterm customers but I think it is a failed business plan if the goal is to maximize profits. $200 a month seems like a lot to me for cable TV and internet and you can definitely save money by cutting the cord but replacing the level of quality programming with OTA and internet TV isn't possible in my opinion although I am able to get close enough with various streaming boxes.

In general satellite and cable companies don't make excessive profits since so many customers will take the special sign up offer and immediately cancel once the term requirement is met and switch to another service with a special offer. I dropped DirecTV after being a subscriber for 12 years, my DirecTV bill was about $80/month and I had an AT&T internet service plan at $30/month. I still have a $30/month internet service plan although I have switched a couple of times in recent years which was required to keep that price. My current plan will be up and I am sure that will go up, probably 50%.

Carlzone, thanks for the military service. What branch?

5. Carlszone

Navy. 20 yrs.

I calculated the difference between the costs if I had (like I'd would have preferred) kept cable, internet & phone. (Btw, I left the phone service out of my last post.) From 1996 til now. This was helped by some of my friends who have never cancelled their service. The only rewards the continuous subscriber received were rate increases with each year. Meanwhile the offers for free and discounted services kept increasing.

Arcos, I think it is called just won a victory in court over the networks & cable companies in their area. I'll need to read more about it but the article was one of the leads on the morning news.

Carl

6. CatfishRivers

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Roku Among Pay TV Alternatives Ranked | Variety (click for full article)

Top 10 Companies That Pose the Biggest Threat to Pay TV

by Variety staff - April 3, 2013

"Intel may be the ambitious entry in the so-called "over the top" movement aimed at making an end run around the pay-TV business, but it's far from the only game in town. There's a wide field of players with no shortage of innovative - but often flawed - strategies. Here's how they stack up.

(From the pages of the April 2 issue of Variety.)"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  7. ChrisG8

I believe you mean Aereo but I can't say I have a good understanding of how their business model will succeed. I know it is one of those cloud based services and I think primarily for something I can receive without having to access the internet, local channels and I don't like that idea much.

$200 including cable TV, internet and phone sounds about typical.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bidger

bidger Member

Let me ask you, Carl, do you think it's a good business practice to just hand out unsolicited discounts? By your own admission you recently added two premium channels. Since I like to keep my bundle for Internet and TV low, it's not something I would do. And when you do call to lower your bill, a recent addition of those channels would only confuse the rep. Having a low cost TiVo to record shows, I'm more than satisfied with the HD lineup I get from TWC and the broadband they offer is fast and reliable. As long as financially feasible, I see no reason to change. When they say, factored out to your cost on a daily basis, there is no better entertainment value, they're right. This comes from someone who tried the "cord cutter" route. It's not the paradise some proclaim it.

9. Carlszone

Hi Bidger

Actually, yes!

When I was in Florida yrs ago, the cable company did not offer incentives to subscribe. They just kept the price low enough for folks to add more premium channels or On-Demand programming. Dropping incentives and lowering the overall cost is the best incentive there is. Also, rewarding longterm subscribers stops the silly game of switching companies or dropping all service until users are eligible for the next 3-6 month offer. $150.00 a month for a yr is better than $100.00 for 3 months + $50.00 for the early termination fee. Only then to enroll them a month later at an even better discount.

I was a cord cutter for nine months because Cox made a mistake & refused to reimburse me the $5.00 late charge. Only until they reimbursed me did I join up again. It may seem like a lot of trouble over 5 bucks, but times that by a million subscribers and just the capital makes any fines insignificant in the long run. And sadly, most folks would overlook it or think the mistake was on their part.

Lastly whenever you owe them they wanna punish you w/late fees. But when they owe you they expect you to wait six months or longer to get your money back. I've lived w/out cable but I'd rather not have to.

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

Yes it's Aereo - the following article explains that they just won a court decision on April 1st:

AFP: TV startup shakes up US broadcasters with court win

• Like Like x 2
  11. CatfishRivers

The Associated Press: Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes (click for full article)

By By RYAN NAKASHIMA, AP Business Writer - 17 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas."

12. Carlszone

Thanks, Ya'll

I don't know where I got Arco from, but I think I was multi-tasking beyond my own limitations...

Carl

13. CatfishRivers

14. Carlszone

Lol!

Fox will get eaten alive if they try that stunt! I'm luvin' it. 1st desperation. Then capitulation.

Ya can't fight the new technology...

Carl

15. CatfishRivers

The Aereo web site says that's it's not compatible with my Logitech Revue. Aereo requires the latest version of Chrome -:(
    There is an Aereo app for Roku by the way.

https://aereo.com/try

However FilmOn works with the GTV Chrome browser and there is also a FilmOn app that works with GTV. From my understanding FilmOn is doing something similar to Aereo (using antennas for Network live feeds) - plus they have a bunch of other stuff:

WEB TV | LIVE TELEVISION FILM VIDEO ON DEMAND SOCIAL FILMON