Quantcast

Considering purchasing a Google TV box. Looking for input

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by pjo1966, Nov 21, 2012.

1. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I am considering making a change in my home theater. I'm looking at two options:

1. Replace one of my TiVos with a 4 tuner TiVo. This will enable me to record more programs without running into conflicts.

2. Add Google TV to my existing setup. This will allow me to get shows from alternate sources. This solution is about $200 cheaper than option 1.

I currently watch mkv files on a networked hard drive through my blu ray player. This is kind of clunky. I also stream shows and movies through the TiVos using Netflix and Amazon. This is also kind of clunky. I wouldn't have full use of GTV because from what I understand It doesn't communicate with TiVo like It does with Comcast's DVRs. I have TWC. I can already toss videos from YouTube on my phone and Nexus 7 to YouTube on the TiVos. I don't know how much smoother that works through Google TV.

Any input or suggestions would be welcome. Obviously I'm expecting a bias toward Google TV from the members of this forum, but I'm trying to make as informed a decision as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would say option 2, get Google TV. I don't know how many TiVos you have but your statement makes it clear you have more than one. I use 2 subscribed TiVos and 3 Google TV boxes, no cable or satellite, just OTA with an antenna on the roof. I don't use a smart phone so can't comment on how that works but I did recently install the YouTube remote on a TouchPad tablet and it works well with Google TV for choosing YouTube videos to play.

I am a huge fan of both TiVo and Google TV, needless to say.

3. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I have 2 TiVo Premieres. OTA is not an option at the moment, so I'm stuck with TWC. There are certain shows we like to watch the night they air, so I won't be cutting the cord any time soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

4. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Do your TiVos play well with GTV or do you use them separately?

5. ChrisG8

Of course four tuners is more than enough for me with only OTA to contend with. Like you mentioned, no Google TV deep integration with TiVo but the devices work well together. I just don't care about that aspect of use much. Google TV is designed to work well with any TV service, cable, satellite or OTA but in general, I would say it adds a lot more value for the OTA user although integration of internet guides and searches with the TV source is probably more useful for cable or satellite users. I know anything that comes from the OTA networks, I use TiVo to watch and everything else has to come from another source so merging the two means little to me. Getting both DVR and streaming box controlled by one controller and connected to the same HDMI input provides the value for me, that simplifies operation for other users in the house.

I have a PC connected since Google TV is blocked from Hulu and a few network sites and other streaming boxes since Google TV doesn't have Vudu, I am jumping through a lot of hoops to make cutting the cord work but I am able to find more than enough to watch. Google TV is so much better for YouTube and Netflix than TiVo is in my opinion, I don't even use TiVo for either of those. Your TiVo Premiere will do more internet related things than my TiVoHDs and cable has so much more than OTA that you won't be so much in awe of everything Google TV can do since you probably just don't need as much from the platform as I do.

6. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I just ordered the Vizio Co-Star for Saturday delivery from Amazon. Worse case scenario, if it doesn't work the way I want, it goes back.

I Googled to try to find instructions for setting up the TiVo and Co-Star to work together. I haven't really found anything yet. Can you point me in the right direction?

7. ChrisG8

I don't have the Co-Star but setup for any Google TV box and TiVo should be about the same, plug the HDMI output from the TiVo into the HDMI input of the Google TV box and setup will ask questions, you tell the device what TV source you use and to control a TiVo. You must have the TiVo in line of sight of the Co-Star remote is one difference from my setup, I only need to be able to set up the IR blasters to control the TiVo. Someone using TiVo with the Co-Star can speak directly to how well the combination works or doesn't work together.

8. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Does it matter if the TiVo isn't directly plugged into Google TV? I have two TiVos plugged into an AV receiver via HDMI. I was going to take the output of the receiver and pass it through the Co-Star.

9. ChrisG8

I wouldn't do that, connect it the other way, Google TV to AV Receiver. How in the world would you have the AV Receiver handle audio from Google TV in that setup?

10. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

The TV passes the audio back to the receiver by an HDMI cable.

11. ChrisG8

So let me figure this out, TiVo audio>AVR>Google TV >TV>AVR. I don't want to be in the neighborhood when your home theater explodes, let me know before you try that out so I can be somewhere else safe.

12. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

LOL

I would keep the AV receiver set on the TV input. All audio would pass through the TV.

The other option would be to just have one TiVo hooked up to The Co-Star. That would work too.

13. ChrisG8

I think you want a TiVo connected to the Co-Star which should be connected to the AVR. You can go ahead and try the loop back through the TV setup and see how that works out, report back here after you try it, you will be able to see, but likely won't be able to hear for a few days. You must select a source with the AVR, assuming you want that to be a TiVo, you will have selected that specific TiVo but since the TV is routing the audio back to the AVR, you want the AVR to have TV input selected, having both selected simultaneously sounds a little tricky to me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  14. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I see your point. I guess I didn't quite think that through, did I? :D

We usually watch the shows on the second TiVo by streaming through the first anyway, so only having one TiVo hooked up through the Co-Star shouldn't be a problem.

I specie your help, especially on a holiday. There really isn't nearly as much information available online for this as I'd like.

15. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Just saw my post above. Specie? I appreciate your help.

I'm setting it up now. I love new toys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

16. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

Quick question... how do I turn off the sound that plays every time you select a menu option? It's driving my dog insane.

17. chopper

chopper Active Member

That is so funny, can you do a YouTube Video and post it here. I am pretty sure you need to poke around with the Settings App. My cat likes to batt at anything that moves on my 50 inch plasma, lol.

18. ChrisG8

On my boxes, it is Settings>Picture and Sound>Sound Effects, not sure of the exact selection process on the second generation models, but it can't be much different.

19. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

I don't have a Pictures and Sound under settings. I have sperate Video and Audio menu options. There's no Sound Effects option under Audio.