Quantcast

Considering Google TV

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chapman442, Jan 22, 2012.

1. chapman442

chapman442 New Member

Hi, folks. I'm seriously considering finally getting into the 21st century and integrating my TV/home theater w/ the internet. Google TV seems to be the way to go, especially since I'm an Andriod phone user already. I've seen a lot of negative comments about the 3.1 update. I hope most issues have been corrected and/or were setup / reconfiguration issues.

I'm considering the Logitech Revue - although I understand it's been discontinued, it is still available AND It is cheap :)

Question is ... Should I or Shouldn't I. If not, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

It's Google, it's a no brainer. This thing is just going to get better and better. Yet, the new boxes coming out may make this one obsolete soon. If you want a browser, apps and a somewhat integrated box for your cable provider it's gotta be GTV. If you want apps and streaming with out hasles it's a Roku box for now. If you want a cool remote its a toss up between the $99 Roku and what developers are doing with apps for GTV.

My vote is GTV by a nose for now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  3. halox

halox New Member

For $99 bucks, it's impossible to be let down. Google TV w/ Revue is a great device that allows you to do a ton of stuff with your TV.

You'll see a lot of belly-aching on this site, but that's because those people are verbal. You won't see all of us constantly singing its praises - but I assure you, most of us love our Google TVs.

4. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Another fan of the Revue here.
    Although I don't use the TV integration (no cable box), I still have a lot of fun with it.
    I signed up for Amazon Prime a couple of weeks ago, and it works great. We've been watching some TV shows we missed (24, Numb3ers), along with movies.
    I did the trial of Netfix when I first got the Revue back in August, and it also worked fine (although there seems to be a problem lately with Netflix for some people, I haven't tried it since August).
    I also like being able to sit back on the sofa and 'net surf with a real keyboard (to me, the keyboard is the Revue's strong point over the other products).
    I don't stream movies from local storage, but I do stream music stored on my PC to my main A/V system in the living room. That also works great.

BTW, anyone know where the Revue can still be had for $99? I'd like to grab another one for a second system.

5. madman999

madman999 Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. dlflannery

dlflannery New Member

7. chapman442

chapman442 New Member

Thanks for the replys. I have to agree, for $99 you really can't go wrong.

I'm in! I should have mine soon and I'm sure I'll have many questions as I work through it. Thanks in advance for all the answers to my future dumb questions.....

8. mcc3200

mcc3200 New Member

I would wait for the new Vizio VAP430 - when it's released soon (very soon) it will also be 99 bux but will utilize a
    better processor and in general be a more up to date product with real support. I own a Revue but will be buying the
    Vizio. Read about it by doing a search for Vizio VAP430. I cant post links here.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am big fan of the Logitech Revue and believe I will be happy with mine over the long run but I don't know what I would do if I was considering getting involved with Google TV today. As mcc3200 stated, it may be the new products from Vizio will be better. I might be more inclined to wait for something new from Sony or LG, both companies have a history of products I have owned and been happy with. I don't think there is much downside to buying the Revue now but if Logitech completely abandons the product which is in need of some fixes now, that would be the worst case and good reason to be unhappy with the purchase.

10. mcc3200

mcc3200 New Member

Well, the big thing for me is the processor that the new box(es) will be using (Arm?). I mean I cant even play Angry Birds on my Revue becauseit's not compatible with the processor! That's just ridiculous. Also the fact that Logitec has abandoned it, is just a sin. I'm glad I've owned it for the last few months, don't get me wrong, but I'll be buying a new box as soon as it's available. I would not encourage anyone to buy a Revue in the present day. It's outdated.

11. chapman442

chapman442 New Member

Well, I did go ahead with the Revue. My local CompUSA was clearing out the refurb units for $79 and I figured what-the-heck? I can try it and if I like it upgrade later.

It was very easy to install and it has no problems controlling my JVC tv, Onyx 7.1 A/V and the Cable box. Have to admit, this internet/tv integration is pretty neat. I do like the size of the keyboard, too. I'm sure, after the newness wears off, I'll find a bunch of things I wish it would do, but for now, seems to be a pretty good start.

Thanks for everyone's input.

12. mustang1068

mustang1068 New Member

It is worth getting just for the always-on video conferencing capability (assuming you buy the camera) - I would have bought it just for that. The $129 bundle at Best Buy was an absolute steal, though doubt you can find it anymore.

I convinced everyone in my family to get one - and since it is always on (at least as long as your TV is on), it gets used quite a bit. Much better than XBOX or PC solution that requires you to contact the other party first and have them switch inputs or setup a special time to do the conference, I can just call them since their TVs are almost always on.

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Where can you even buy a Revue anymore? BestBuy no longer carries it. The places that still have any new Revues left are now raising prices. Amazon is out of stock and they have third party retailers offering it for $150 now. TigerDirect has a few new Revues without keyboard for $99. With Keyboard I think it was offered for approx. $130 last time I checked.

I can't find any of the refurbished units for $79.99 any more.

NOTE: I just checked TigerDirect and apparently they are currently offering new Revues with the keyboard for $99. The other day they had Revues without keyboard for $99.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=Logitech+Revue

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. madman999

madman999 Member

at 79$, guess they sold out like hotcakes!

there is a market for a GTV device out there at the right price. Manufacturers have to figure out how to build it to meet that price point.

Maybe what google ought to be doing is subsidizing the product so they can get more out there since they have large cash reserves. I am sure they derive some advertising revenue from ads in their apps.

I understand that the developers and the makers want to recoup their investment as fast as they can but not everything can have the instant success rate of an iPad or even an Amazon Kindle Fire. it;s a chicken egg scenerio. leaving their partners to "fend for themselves" is short sighted.