Quantcast

Considering a G2, Looking for some clarifications.

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Djinn5150, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Currently I am in the market for a new TV, I am currently considering the G2 and would like some clarifications on feature sets, experiences etc. I am very familiar with GoogleTV in general having a POS Vizio Co-star, and being very frustrated with its drawbacks I am hoping the G2 will be the solution. This unit will primarily be used for viewing my HTPC for Live TV through Windows Media Center and a SiliconDust HD Homerun Prime. So the big questions for me at this point are as follows

1. Does it support AC3 and DTS audio formats, either through the set's built in speakers or by passing the signal out through optical/hdmi audio return?

2. How non techie friendly is the set?

3. Other then the standard "boot time" and "remote" complaints, what do you not like about the set?

4. How's the 3d? Does the set support Dual Play as with some of the other 3D sets from LG?

5. What "bugs" are you currently experiencing?

I am sure some of theese questions could be answered by reading the users manual, however I have had experience with being told a device supports something in the manual but once in the real world finding it actually does not(co-star), so I am looking to current owners to confirm a few things. Thanks in advance if you can help. In case you are wondering my back up option will be an LG 6200 or 6700 series.

2. Lakedubvt

Lakedubvt New Member

I have been debating getting this TV for almost a year and just saw this deal this morning and pulled the trigger. 47" for $700
    http://dealsea.com/view-deal/94370

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

3. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Wow thats a steal, hopefully it will still be available when I am ready to pull the trigger. I know anyway I look at it, it will be a huge upgrade over my 06 Vizio 720p 42"/costar combo. After the Costar fiasco I am not jumping the gun again without doing my due diligence. Ideally I would like to mostly eliminate my HTPC from the equation, if this tv can handle the codecs mentioned above I should be able to direct stream through Plex all my recorded tv from WMC, then DLNA to the PRIME for live tv.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have any smart TV, only dumb TVs with smart TV boxes and so far nobody with an LG Google TV has offered an opinion here. I use Google TV a lot and I am not aware of any reason the LG Google TV will be greatly different than the Vizio Co-Star in terms of performance or codec support. In other words, no DTS, and without licensing from DTS, it won't even pass DTS for decoding by an attached DTS decoder and I sure don't see the DTS logo anywhere in the LG documentation. It is my understanding the problem with DTS included in the bitstream where a device is decoding the video and not decoding the audio, only passing it through that is still a function requiring a license. An HDMI switch can pass through the bitstream undecoded without license but that isn't what is happening with an HDTV. If you don't see the DTS logo, you can forget any kind of processing of DTS audio, at least from any mainstream company not wanting to run afoul of the law. First generation Sony Google TV, the NSZ-GT1, handles DTS, decodes and outputs PCM or bitstreams for processing by a decoder connected by HDMI.

5. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Thanks for your response ChrisG8, DTS is not as much as a deal breaker as is AC3 for me, while I would love to not have to transcode my ripped movies with DTS tracks I can simply playback those through my current means, however AC3 is definately a must considering all of the audio from recorded tv is AC3, the costar is supposed to be capable of supporting these files but I have yet to personally see it in action as my TV does not support AC3 only PCM. I see you have the Sony NSZ-GS7, what are your thoughts on it? I was also contemplating going with a less expensive alternative and adding the GS7 to provide Plex and the optical out to my current reciever, while I know it won't handle the DTS how's the AC3 support?

6. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

LG is based on its own CPU, so it HAS differences with other units.
    And it does support DTS,

7. thearttist

thearttist New Member

I just bought my first LG TV From fry's electronics for 699 It is the LG 47G2 this is the current price and should be for a while We're mostly Samsung people in this household But I could not pass up ther price First of all this TV has an absolutely gorgeous screen But it is very quirky lot of little draw backs .We currently use bright house Networks without cable box Our Samsung is able to Merge channel numbers from multiple sources The LG cannot do this Instead it has catv 2-100 dtv 2-100 and so on, also you cannot favorite channels that are in the sub bands like 59.9 this is one of our hd channels for fox instead gtv gives us the the sd version of fox there is no way to edit the channel guide other the addition and deletion of channels no dlna support except thru PLEX so far. I do not use a cable box and I cannot connect to a channel guide THIS IS CRAZY THERE ARE A MILLION CHANNEL GUIDES on the net GOOGLE you need to fix this.
    I am pretty techie and I find this tv frustrating all because of the remote, I am going to purchase a magic remote and see it this lessens the level of frustration.
    I am still playing with this so I'm sure there is a learning curve. the LG tuner is awesome and strange at the same time. Here is what I mean since I use brighthouse basic cable and broadcast over the air digital you are able to play with the on board tuner by picking different carriers and allow the lg to tune in the channels. I chose u-verse just to play around after the scan was complete I was able to obtain STARZ And ENCORE WEST for about 2 hours then they would become scrambled I would re scan and they would show up again believe me I'm not complaining about this I just find it strange. This is our first 3d tv so I have nothing to compare to but I love the fact that if my kids break the glasses I'm not out 100 bucks This was going to become a main tv but the remote did not pass the wife test hence the magic remote purchase so this is going to be more of a secondary unit until we get trained to its quirkiness
    Good luck with your purchase guys

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Thank you all for your input, just bit the bullet and ordered the 47G2, I will report back my thoughts once i receive the tv.