Quantcast

Connection issues for both Logitech Revue and Co-Star

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rgn2000, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

I know there have been numerous posts about this subject, but I am yet to see any solution. My Logitech Revue was always hardwired through ethernet without an issue. I had decent internet from Time Warner at 15 to 20 down. Recently they upgraded and gave me a new modem/router and I am getting 30 down and 5 up.

I then noticed when I would run Slacker Radio, it would tell me I have a poor connection and asked me if I wanted to proceed anyway. I would and the music started, but sometime after, the music would stop and it would time out. I then got a Co-Star and I tested it and it was the exact same result. Then I tried Pandora and I didn't get the warning, but it would time out.

I then noticed speedtest differences (like a lot of you) on both devices, but even with the Logitech and Co-Star showing slower speeds, it should still fast enough to get music. I would get anywhere between 15 to 30 down via the Chrome browser. It's very sporadic. Sometimes though it would hang and get stuck and other times it would start out at 2 down for a couple of seconds then shoot up.

So then I figured it was the modem/router, but I bridged my modem/router and connected my old router and wouldn't you know I still have the same problem. Could it be the "Modem" part of the puzzle? Well I don't have another modem, but I do know that the modem/router they have sent me (and I have used 2 different models with the same result) is DOCSIS 3 so I am wondering if that is the culprit. I was already getting 30 down, but I wasn't getting 5 up with my old modem so they told me I needed to get a newer modem in order to get it. This is when all the trouble started. The old modem and my Linksys router was fine and after the change even bridging the new modem/router and using my old Linksys didn't resolve it.

I have tried switching to WiFi, and I don't get the error, but it times out eventually. I suspect that is more of an issue with Android working well with WPA and security, but not fully sure. Is there something going on with this newer internet technology that is not working with Google TV boxes? I have a Western Digital TV Live media player and it doesn't have Slacker, but it does have Pandora. I can run Pandora on that with no issues. What is going on with Google TV? Is there some setting on the router that I can change that will magically fix this?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Things that I suggest trying for your router 1) reboot/factory reset 2) try setting a static IP 3) try removing encryption and see if that helps (I know this is not an ideal solution but I mention it as troubleshooting measure).

3. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Thanks for the reply 1) the router is brand new so a factory reset won't make a difference. 2) I have tried a static IP. 3) encryption isn't an issue for wired connections which is what I am trying to do. I could try it for WiFi though, but ideally I want this to be connected via ethernet and I want a secure router.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

This started happening to me last night. I'm glad you posted. I was thinking it was one of my Apps acting up. But I believe the problem might not be related to our modems or routers. Question, are you getting Force Close error msgs in Chrome? Lots of weird things happening w/the Logitech Revue units. I'll wait it out & see if the techs are working on something behind the scenes.

Before we got the Quick Guide I noticed some instability while surfing. Also folks are reporting problems w/the Play Store.

Carl

5. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

I can't say much about force closing issues with Chrome because I don't use it much. I do mostly streaming via Slacker, YouTube, or Netflix.

6. Carlszone

Yeah, Slacker always reads the Revue's connection as 'not very good.' Unless you are streaming from a PC, Tablet or smartphone. Wonder if the newer units get that bogus message.

Thanks

Carl

7. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

I never got the message until I got the new router/modem. I am getting the same message on the Co-Star as well. It's definitely not Slacker's fault.

8. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

This might not be your problem, but make sure DHCP is not enabled on the new modem. You don't want two devices serving DHCP. Strangely I've seen it happen a few times.

Have you tried changing the cable to see if it's an issue. If you can't try turning Wi-Fi on and see if that makes a difference.

Also enable WMM, multicast routing and forwarding if you have those options on your router as well.

Lastly try disconnecting all network devices from your router except for your Google TV device. You might have a network adapter that is failing and is constantly flooding the network with request, which could be causing your network problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

9. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

What do you mean make sure DHCP is not enabled on the new modem. It is and if I remove it what happens? Doesn't it stop giving IP addresses to other devices in the house?

Multicast is on and I don't see a WMM option.

I also tried inserting the MAC of the Revue in the Pass Through area of the router/modem settings. Do you think adding it's IP as a DMZ host would make a difference?

10. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Well your router is giving out the up addresses. Sometimes internet providers set the modem to give out Ip addresses as well. So you do not need two devices do the same thing.

Did you try disconnecting all other devices from the network temporarily to see if that helped? An maybe swapping out the cable.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

11. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Okay well I guess the DHCP thing isn't an issue and as for swapping wires, no need to do that as I have tested the Revue and the Co-Star in different locations in the house on different wires. I have not tried disconnecting all other devices because even if that works, then what?

Yesterday I did try setting the Revue as a DMZ host and it's still too soon to say if it fixed it, but I was able to stream Slacker for a couple of hours without a hitch. I will see if this continues. The only problem with this is if I have more than one Google TV, then it can't be done.

Bottomline is this is a major problem with all Google TV's from what I can see. Just wish I could find a simple fix. It wasn't as noticeable with lower quality modems, but now it will become more prevalent.

12. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

Well the DMZ host trial ended up a failure. I am at a complete loss. It boggles my mind that I can use a wired ethernet and not have a good connection. The WiFi part of the equation is just another Android issue as my phone also disconnects from the WiFi constantly. It shows as connected with the WiFi symbol, but it disconnects behind the scenes and reconnects. It's the same problem with the Google TV and WiFi.

This has to be the DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I am not a network expert, but I don't bet how the modem could be the culprit, but the bottomline is that I had no issues before this switch and even when I tried using my old router again while bridging the modem/router, I still had the problem. I also had it with another branded DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It makes no sense to me, but everything points to it.

13. Carlszone

Hi

Recently Cox had a discount for the next tier up from their Premiere service. I think the offer was 60MB for $5.00 more than what I was paying. I already had the newest modem. But the increase in speed made my broadband unstable. A tech came by and determined that the complex cable connections (outside-a looped system) could not handle the higher speed. I downgraded & got a credit for the $5 bucks and everything went back to normal. The tech had to test it from outside Not via the outlet. To be able to handle the higher speeds the whole complex would need to be recabled. Hence, no Verizon FIOs which extends to the surrounding neighborhood.

Sounds like it might be time for the techs to test yer signal...

Carl

14. rgn2000

rgn2000 New Member

That's definitely not it. The house is only 10 years old so everything is new plus they made some adjustments when we did the upgrade. There are a lot of people complaining about this very problem in other threads and there is a lot of other complaints about Android and WiFi all over the place. There are even a number of complaint tickets on Google. This is a major problem with Google and Android, no question about it.

15. Carlszone

Well, sorry you're still having problems. Post if ya find a fix.

Good Luck

Carl