Quantcast

Connecting to Wireless network

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by magicman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. magicman

magicman New Member

My new Sony Google TV will find my network but the second stage of finding updates it comes back saying the internet connection is limited. It stops there every time. I have a laptop and 3 phones that will connect with no problem. The router is a Linksys N 1000 series.

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Is it unable to get the updates? How far away is the router, any walls/obstructions? With streaming video, you're going to want the best possible connection (ideally a lan cable) you can get, so relocating your router may be a good solution.

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds about right here to me as well.
    He has a N router....
    Really, or ideally, an update or reset of the router would indeed be next in my opinion as well....

4. magicman

magicman New Member

Thanks. I finally called Sony and I think the problem is my DSL is too slow.

5. harley man

harley man New Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  6. JON

JON New Member

I have a similiar problem with setting up my Google TV box. My problem seems to have more to do with the way that I connect to the internet. My apartment complex provides a free hotspot. The only catch is that when you use their connection, you first have to provide some generic information and to agree to abide by certain rules. This page is basicly the same page that you would see when using a hotspot at a hotel. The Google TV box will connect to this network, but since you can't see this page when using the Google TV box, you are never able to get past this page theirfore the internet becomes inaccessable. I have the same issue with my Sony Bravia television as well. The frustration comes into play when calling customer support. They suggest that I call the internet provider when the internet provider suggests that I contact SONY.
    Does anyone have a suggestions?
    Jon

7. harley man

harley man New Member

is there password or code that you have to add to your gtv to get on your wifi netwok

8. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Some routers are set by default to allow a very limited number of DHCP clients.
    I would check your DHCP setting to make sure there are enough available. I would set to around 30.

This could also be caused by a double NAT.
    If both your modem and router are set for NAT translation the combat each other and could cause this issue as well
    I would disable the NAT on your modem if it is enabled and let your router handle it

9. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

A third issue could be MAC control is enabled
    All you would have to do is add your Revues MAC address to your Router

10. dansgotdepth

dansgotdepth New Member

I think.
    I had a similar issue.
    Maybe not.
    My gtv was on Tuesday.
    I might have unplugged the network or powered off the gtv.
    Later in the week.
    My iphone took the ip that my gtv had.
    Gtv could see my network.
    But not the internet.
    Powered off the iphone.
    Rebooted router.
    Yeah!

11. JON

JON New Member

there is no actual password, but you do have to fill out a coupld of boxes; first name, last name and your email. You also have to check a box that confirms your agreement to follow certain rules. This page becomes available if your signing on with a laptop. You aren't able to get this page whenever your trying to connect by other means such as the google tv box, tv, or even a gaming console such as a Wii.

12. harley man

harley man New Member

i would call both sony and the wifi and ask to talk to a level A tech and see what they can do for you or you are going have get your own web provider i would also maybe try google

this member works for google drop him a pm maybe he can help you .http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/members/196-gtv-daniel.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  13. Yvettiepie

Yvettiepie New Member

I just bought a Sony google tv and i live on a 3 floor townhouse. The router is on the 1st flr and the tv is on the third flr. I was trying to set up the Internet part but everytime i type in the password it keeps saying disconnected. So I tried joining a diff network which of course I know that I can't connected too, I just wanted to c what kind of msg it'll give me true enough it said password incorrect. Called sony and they said that I might have a poor
    Signal. I have a netgear wireless router and my internet provider is clear. Sony said I need a wireless
    Booster or wifi extender. Can somebody recommend a good or compatible one with this tv? Tnx!

14. harley man

harley man New Member

maybe this would work for you HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit also do have a wifi lap top to see how good or bad of signal you are getting to your gtv room

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  15. simpleelovlee

simpleelovlee New Member

I had to take my GTV back to the store, allow them to connect it to the Internet, download all the apps and everything. I took the GTV home, connected to the free wifi hotspot provided by my apartment complex, went to the Chrome app, and logged into the splash page to get Internet.

Cumbersome, I know. But I only had to go back to the store once and log into the splash page on extremely seldom occasions. I can now use all of the apps. My problem now is the speed of the wifi provided is too slow for streaming content. Netflix and YouTube hang. So annoying.