Quantcast

Connecting Chromecast to a Home Theater System

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by mansito, Jan 10, 2014.

1. mansito

mansito New Member

I own a Sonny Home Theater System (HTS). The Sonny HTS has two HDMI IN connectors, and one HDMI OUT connector. The cable box is connected to an HDMI IN, and the TV is connected to the HDMI OUT. When I connect Chromecast to the 2nd HDMI IN, I get video on the TV, but I do not get sound on my HTS. By the way when I connect Chromecast to my TV it works perfectly. Has anyone connected a Chromecast to and HTS? I would like to use the surround sound from the HTS when I use Chromecast.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^

Hi,

you didn't list make/model of your HTS, btw.

Just select "Stereo" (instead of "Dolby Digital Plus") from netflix "Audio&Subtitles" menu.

Home Theater Systems (HTS) don't decode DD+ via hdmi-in, you won't get any sound or (true) surround sound from CC/Netflix if you select "Dolby Digital Plus". This is common with all HTS when DD+ audio source is via HDMI-in . HTS specs may list DD+ decoding, unfortunately, the specs failed to list HDMI-in limitation.

Sorry to be the one to break this news to ya. If you into stb streaming/surround sound, avoid HTS as they don't support advanc/hd audio format via hdmi-in and their (4 ohm) speakers aren't compatible with (8 ohm) AVRs.
    So, in the future, try to checkout modern AV receivers (instead of HTS).

3. mansito

mansito New Member

It is a Sony BDV-T79

In the meantime I'll try your suggestion, and thank you for the detailed information on sound decoding.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (Sony BDV-T79)
    Home Theater Systems (HTS)

In "Audio Format", the specs don not list "Dolby Digital Plus"(DD+) decoding limitation via hdmi-in. But, the manual clearly shows DD+ is unsupported via hdmi-in.

in "HDMI Audio" (referring to hdmi-out) the specs list "Dolby Digital Plus"(DD+) bit-stream (pass-through) via hdmi-out, but fails to mention that this limited to only to BD soundtracks (or smart app/network, if applicable). But, the manual clearly shows DD+ is unsupported via HDMI-in.
    Though bit-stream advanve/hd audio via hdmi-out is useless in your case, this info maybe helpful to those 'd like to plug the HTS into an AV receiver (& use it as just BD player).

note: other HTS may not even list (hdmi-in) "supported audio format" in the manual.

In short, (as HTS specs can be misleading) this (& most) HTS may only support Chromecast "2-ch PCM" via hdmi-in.
    (that means, no DD+ via hdmi-in).

see Surround Sound Decoders

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. mansito

mansito New Member

Thanks a million. I guess I'll keep the CC connected to my TV. It would have been nice to get the better sound from my HTS, but I can leave with the TV sound.

6. danraymo

danraymo New Member

Go to your TV menu... and in the Audio settings, make sure the sound output is set to "TV Speakers" vs "Audio System" (Your cable box is connected directly to the audio system, so you don't need the TV to.) Turn the volume on your TV all the way down. Connect either RCA cables or an optical cable from your TV's "Audio Output" to an input on your media system. Select the audio input you used to connect the TV to on your media system.