Quantcast

Connect to cable with CableCard

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by DonGateley, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

Is there a device, less expensive than the Tivo, that I can connect to my cable via CableCard and which has HDMI out that I can pass through this? To get a set top box with HDMI out Comcast requires an expensive HD content subscription.

2. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

I take it the answer is no, then. Anybody care to disagree? (IOW, bump):eek:

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO it seems like a lot of trouble & expense to go through just to avoid the $10/mo Comcast fee for the HDMI cable box.

Assuming a cheap Windows PC costs what like approximately $300? plus $100 for the tuner - then it would take over 3 years to make the investment back.

However like Chris said if one already owns a PC for that purpose it makes more sense.

Also if you have an interest in digitally recording your TV programming to your computer's hard drive it would make make sense - because then you would also be saving on a DVR rental fee from Comcast.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  5. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

I agree but it's more than that. Without a Comcast HD viewing package you can't get a set top box with HDMI out, only analog, so you can't use the Co-Star without paying Comcast for an HD subscription you may not want in order to get the HDMI box.

With a CableCard device you bypass that extra subscription cost as well as chucking the set top box. I'd like to find something that does nothing other than replace the set top box with HDMI out but it looks like the licensers for CableCard have ruled that out so that the cable companies can rope you into HD subscriptions.

6. DonGateley

DonGateley New Member

On further reflection, stimulated by the responses here, I see that perhaps I don't have a problem at all. I can just keep the cable coming in through the analog input to my tv and use the Co-Star without anything at its HDMI input.

I think the only downside of the parallel approach is that you can't get Co-Star to give you cable in a window. I may go the Tivo route anyway, though, to get its functionality as well as its HDMI. Thanks for the help.

7. bigsam411

bigsam411 New Member

As others have mentioned you could get a cable card tuner for your PC, and then after that you could get a media center extender like the Xbox or Ceton Echo. Both of those will duplicate the interface of Windows Media Center on your television over the network. The Problem is that Google TV does not have the remote codes for Windows Media Center and therefore will not get the Search/Primetime integration. I have posted something about this in the general forum (specifically asking about remote codes) and have realized that because the install base for both is relatively small I probably wouldn't get a solution anytime soon.