Quantcast

Connect Co-Star to cable box without HDMI output

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by merced, Nov 30, 2012.

1. merced

merced New Member

My Comcast cable box does not have HDMI output and I would like to avoid paying Comcast monthly fee for HD service.

Is there any way I can connect Vizio Co-Star to my cable box to use Google TV functionality?

I am thinking about using some intermidiate device (with HDMI output) between cable box and Co-Star.
    Is it possible?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You won't be able to use Google TV functionality integrated with a cable box unless the cable box has an HDMI output. You should still be able to get the local guide information though through the TV & Movies app. (I have no cable box - but get the guide information on my Logitech Revue by entering a GTV supported cable box during set-up process.)

As an aside - there are ways to use a coax basic cable TV signal (known as clear QAM) - or OTA signal in conjunction with Google TV devices. (This option will not be the same functionality as a fully integrated Google TV experience with a GTV supported cable box. But it is an option for cord-cutters). Using a Tivo DVR with Google TV is a popular option for cord-cutters. These options are explained in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6560-anyone-tried-coax-hdmi-conterter.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in the following threads there are 2 new devices (Boxee TV and SimpleTV) that can be used in conjunction with GTV - they utilize OTA broadcasts or basic cable TV signal. (This is not the same thing as full GTV integration):

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...anyone-tried-using-co-star-simple-tv-dvr.html

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...m-team-dvr-local-tv-internet-tv-sling-tv.html

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. merced

merced New Member

Thank you, CatfishRiver for many options you provided.
    I am not cord-cutter and I subscribe to Comcast Digital Starter that has more channels then basic cable.

My understanding these channels should be decripted and I need a cable box to do that.
    After the signal is decrypted I just need to pass it to TV through Co-Star.

I hoped to find some device with HDMI output and coax Input that can path through the signal from cable box to Co-Star.
    Can it be DVR or some DVD with video input (if it exists)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

No that setup won't work.

The nearest thing that I can think of would be using a cable card with a Tivo DVR. But this would be something different than what you are asking.

5. heyted

heyted New Member

No. That is not technically correct. You need a CableCARD to do that. Take a look at: Digital Cable Compatibility: CableCARD-Ready Devices | FCC.gov

One option is to contact Comcast and see if you can exchange your current [older model?] cable box with a new cable box with no extra charge. You may be able to do this depending on your account type. You likely can get local HD channels through cable without changing your plan. I also have Comcast Digital Starter, and I am able to get local HD channels through cable. Getting one free cable box is generally possible in my city, but it is not an option for me due to the bulk Comcast account I am in.

If you don't mind spending a considerable amount of money, you may want to replace the cable box with a subscribed TiVo.

If you want to think outside the [cable:D] box, save money, put up with what could be a difficult process to get and setup, and don't mind some undesirable side effects, you may want to do this:
    Premiere as tuner, without subscription - definitive answers (hopefully) - Page 2 - TiVo Community
    Setting up a Premiere as a tuner only - - TiVo Community

6. merced

merced New Member

I already contacted Comcast asking them to replace my free old coax cable box with another one. The new box with HDMI output comes with HD service only and cocsts $10 / month.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you want to use a Comcast cable box with Google TV integration, you are going to need a cable box with HDMI output, that is the only necessary answer to this question in my opinion. I don't know of a device that will take whatever output available from the current cable box, composite, component, or s-video plus composite or digital audio and convert that to HDMI but I do know if such a device exists, it costs money and wouldn't be comparable to the proper solution.

8. heyted

heyted New Member

You could use a DVD player between the cable box and Co-Star, but that would be a painful solution. I have an upscaling DVD recorder that can take SD in and upscale it to 1080p, and it does have hdmi out. The resulting quality is only very slightly better than some other SD devices.

9. Robel

Robel New Member

What about a FTA satellite receiver, which has HDMI output and OTA coaxial antenna input, they are under $100 totally legal and no monthly fee.

10. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Your Comcast box probably has a dvi port on it. Just go on eBay and get a dvi to hdmi converter cable for a few dollars.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

11. plac

plac New Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The red, green, and blue component video connection on one end and HDMI on the other end will get a blank screen from the cable box when connected to the Google TV input. At least you won't be annoyed by audio and no picture, there won't be any audio either.

The composite audio and video to HDMI converter for $34 or so might provide standard definition video and audio in HDMI compliant digital form but I wouldn't spend 34 cents for that. What is needed is a cable box with HDMI output or just don't bother with connecting the cable box to Google TV, period.

• Like Like x 2