Quantcast

confused...

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by scubaman, Jul 24, 2013.

1. scubaman

scubaman New Member

I'm confused by this announcement . They call it a USB dongle. It appears to be a device that plugs into hdmi port. They also say it needs USB power also - and the device rendition appears to have a micro-USB port at the end. Can someone in the know tell me what this thing really is? Or is it a 2-piece thing? It looks to me like it plugs into your TV's hdmi port, has a built-in 801.11 b/g/n wifi. Runs chrome internally. Certain apps you run on another device will be compatible with it, and on those you have a 'cast' button now which will push whatever the app is displaying on your screen to the chromecast device, in hd resolution. Through your router? Or can it make a peer to peer connection with your device directly? I was intrigued when I read the announcement, then it started making less and less sense. The video shows this thing being plugged into an hdmi port. No power to the USB port. hdmi does not provide power, does it? Scratching my head...

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. The Chromecast device plugs into the HDMI and comes with a USB power cord and A/C adapter. If your TV has a USB port you can plug the USB power cord into the USB port on your TV for power. (You can also use a USB port on another device for power). If not then you use the adapter and plug it into the A/C.

*Note: If you have a newer TV that has HDMI 1.4 then you can power the Chromecast directly with HDMI. If your TV only has HDMI 1.3 then you need to use one of the USB methods for power that I mentioned above.

The phone or laptop you're streaming video from also has to be on the same Wi-Fi network as the Chromecast device, and you have to pair the Chromecast with your device, a process that involves displaying a code on the TV screen.

It's my understanding that for Chromecast apps the the proceess is referred to as "flinging". Your computer sends a URL to the cloud - and the content is then streamed from the cloud to the TV (the Chromecast dongle acts as a receiver).

The Chrome tab projection feature is a bit different in that it actually uses "mirroring" via a peer to peer protocol. This allows Chrome to send web pages directly from your computer to a Chromecast dongle. This happens locally over your Wi-Fi network and not through Google's servers. This feature uses a relatively new standard called WebRTC, which allows web browsers to communicate directly with each other and is the basis for a few video conferencing apps. The Chromecast Chrome tab projection feature is still in beta - and it will be in beta for several months until the release of Chrome 30.

The following thread has some articles that answer most of your questions:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-google-play-s-devices-list-what-updated.html

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member