Quantcast

Compatible Cable Providers?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by redpandaalex, Aug 8, 2012.

1. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

Just got a new Sony Google TV, and I discovered that my RCN TV listings aren't getting pulled into the TV and movies app. I also can't star favorite channels. I tried setting my cable provider as Comcast, and that worked, so I'm pretty sure it's just that Google isn't properly pulling in RCN's listings. I've been in contact with Sony Support and Google TV's community manager on Google+, but I have no idea if or when it will be fixed.

I'm curious if Google has provided or anyone has compiled a list of compatible cable services for Google TV. I can't find any, and I can't tell if RCN is the only provider that has this problem. I was a bit disappointed, because it's not advertised as being compatible with "select" cable providers or anything. I know RCN is regional, but I'm guessing that at this point, RCN has more customers than Google TV does.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt if RCN has more customers than Google TV, probably only a small fraction of the total but RCN numbers are hard to pin down except to say, it is a small regional cable company. According to Wikipedia:

RCN Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Official numbers for Google TV are also difficult to find but I believe sales are at about 2 million now, with the Logitech Revue half that total. The number will be pinned down soon due to the competition between Google, Apple and Roku and other smart TV platforms.

None of that matters, if you are among the tiny group using one of the cable providers not supported, you want support and I can understand that. Contacting Google and Sony is all you can do, good luck.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO there are nowhere near 2 million GTV devices sold. As you can see from this GigaOm article from approx. 5 months ago - there were less than 1 million in use at that time. And the only reason it was even that high - was because Logitech & Sony had to drastically slash prices to move their overstocked inventory in a liquidation fire sale.

Scoop: Less than 1M Google TV devices in use — Online Video News

At the time of that article the first generation GTV devices were all discontinued - so any further sales of remaining 1st generation devices were minimal. The new second generation GTV have not been out long at all - and according to the sales rankings on Amazon - sales are slow for the new Sony GTV box. Thus the impact to overall GTV sales here would be minimal at this point also.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. chopper

chopper Active Member

If you can switch providers to another such as Dish Network. I would also call your cable provider and inform them you will be switching if they don't provide Google or Sony with the ability to list your TV listings if that is the problem. But first please ensure your zip code is entered in correctly into you GTV box so that your provider will be listed if indeed it is available.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I doubt that number, Logitech apparently manufactured a million and sold out, the various Sony models, about 5 or 6 should have totalled about a million by now as well. We can't know the total yet but it is a market of interest so data will be accumulated in the not too distant future. All we can do is guess, I will stick with my guess of 2 million.

6. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

RCN's physical footprint isn't huge, but it's in some of the most populated cities in the country--D.C., Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia. In Chicago, I'd say it's about as widely used as Comcast, judging by how many installation trucks I see for each.

But all that is besides the point. So nobody has heard of anyone else with RCN or any other smaller cable provider whose listings aren't getting pulled in?

I finally got the case escalated from Sony to Google yesterday, so hopefully that does something. I would hassle RCN about it too, but I don't even know in what format and where they need to publish their listings in order for Google to be able to index them.

7. kevinlau

kevinlau New Member

Hi Redpandaalex,

Could I get your zip code? And can you double check that when you put in your zip code under System Settings > Date, Time it was entered correctly? I can forward this to our team. Thanks

- Kevin Google TV Community Manager

8. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

60660. And yes, I'm sure I entered it correctly. I actually also tried a couple other zip codes around me just to see if that would work (it didn't, so I think it has to be an RCN thing).

Thanks Kevin.

9. kevinlau

kevinlau New Member

Hey redpandaalex,

I talked to the team and they had the following questions:

1) Were you able to set up the lineup with RCN, but TV & Movies didn't display results? (if so, try clearing tv and movies data in case there were caching issues).
    2) Did you go through the menus, selected RCN but it did not add any channels to your channel lineup in settings > video input > [rcn] > edit channel list? (if so, remove and try again).
    3) Was RCN not listed as a lineup provider during setup?

10. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

RCN is listed during setup but when I select it there's no channel lineup anywhere. When I go to settings > video input, I see Motorola for devices and 'add device manually' under 'select available source'. Neither of those show me a channel lineup when I select them.​