Quantcast

Compatibility with a DAC

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Sonx23, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Sonx23

Sonx23 New Member

Hi,

I currently have a Sony Blu-ray Google TV device $sony-internet-google-tv-blu-ray-player-back.jpg and was wondering if it is compatible with a DAC device (like this $31PLhxhhAwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg ). I know theoretically it should be possible but was wondering if anyone has tried/is using one, and can confirm they work with the Sony Blu-ray Google TV. I want to convert from digital to analog to save some money on the speakers that are necessary for me to get, and just want to make sure this works before making any purchases. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Hit or miss. It depends on how much that box can read. It most likely will not recognize Dolby digital or dts and I have seen people complaining that the Sony brd outputs at a sampling rate of 48khz even on standard 16 bit stereo material. This has potential to cause problems on a box that is expecting to see a 44.1 khz "standard" cd signal.
    A quick Google search on fiio reveals several different model numbers so you might want to post a link to some specs so we can take a look.

3. Sonx23

Sonx23 New Member

Hi les anderson,

Thanks for responding. The fiio device is this one: amazon.com/FiiO-D3-Digital-Converter-Optical/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324487423&sr=8-3

Below is part of the product description on Amazon. As you can see it has Google TV listed but with the Revue in parentheses. This is why I'm not sure if it will work with the Sony Blu-ray Google TV.

*From Amazon Product Description:

The FiiO D3 is a quick and easy way to convert digital audio output into high fidelity stereo analog sound. It is ideal for interfacing between modern digital audio/video devices with analog amplifiers or self-powered speakers. The D3 works with any playback source with an optical (Toslink) or coaxial digital audio output. Here are just a few of the devices supported:

- Digital TVs and HDTVs
    - CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD players
    - Apple TV, Google TV (Revue)
    - Game consoles: PS3 (All), XBOX 360 (Slim)
    - Satellite/Cable receivers and DVRs, TiVO
    - AV Receivers and Integrated Amplifiers
    - Digital media players and streamers

NOTE: The D3 does not support Dolby, DTS, or other surround sound signals. Therefore, it is important that the digital audio output of your device defaults to or can be set to PCM/LPCM output. Otherwise the sound will be static.

Thanks again.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The nice thing about Google TV is that you can use the digital optical output for either Dolby Digtal or PCM. So, you shouldn't have a problem with that converter. However, if you are looking for one which can do both then you will need this Gefen, LLC - GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder.

5. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Yeah, you will most likely be okay. The Sony's 48khz sampling rate is the only question but fiio seems to be claiming broad compatability which would seem to indicate that it would not be a problem.

6. Sonx23

Sonx23 New Member

Yea it's definitely a gamble. Does the Sony BR GTV have bluetooth capabilities? That would be a great way to bypass the port limitations and cabling/DAC issues. I believe the Apple TV is getting support for that with iOS 5.0 (Not entirely sure on that). Starting to wonder if I made a mistake with this GTV device. However, thank you for your help on this.