Quantcast

Comparing All The GTV Set-Top Box Ratings: Some disappointing Numbers

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 6, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. I found it interesting to compare the consumer ratings (on the Amazon web site) of all the GTV set-top boxes sold thus far (including first generation GTV boxes).

While everyone will have their own opinions and ratings - I tend to think that after approx. at least 50 ratings are posted - you can take the average of all the ratings - as a decent general guideline to the "overall" pulse of the "average" consumer.

IMO one would expect the new second generation GTV boxes to have higher ratings than the first generation GTV boxes. And while the Sony NSZ-ZS7 is faring better in the ratings than the Vizio -Co-Star - both of those boxes are currently rated lower than any of the first generation GTV boxes.

Obviously some people that bought/buy the new GTV boxes like them - so please bare in mind that I'm using an average rating of a fairly large sample size. For me personally after reading all the reviews - I've decided to hold off on buying a new GTV box until Google updates the GTV software in a major way.

Now I will post links to all of the GTV boxes on Amazon where you can view the ratings:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony NSZ-ZS7 (currently 70 reviews and rated 3.3 stars out of a possible 5 stars):

Amazon.com: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

------------------------------------------------------------------

Vizio Co-Star (currently 46 reviews and rated 2.4 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Co-Star-Stream-Player-Google/dp/B009IBX7Z2/ref=pd_sim_e_1

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Logitech Revue (currently 914 ratings and rated 3.5 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Companion-Google-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B0040QE98O/ref=pd_cp_e_0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony NSZ-GT1 (currently 230 reviews and rated 3.6 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NSZ-GT1-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Blu-ray-Featuring/dp/B004D4917W

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Logitech Revue - refurbished (176 reviews and rated 3.8 stars):

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revue-Google-TV-Refurbished/dp/B006HFVXSU/ref=pd_cp_e_1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And just to show that the Amazon ratings aren't out-of-whack with reality - the Sony NSZ-ZS7 currently has the exact same rating on the Best Buy web site as it does on Amazon:

Sony NSZ-ZS7 at Best Buy - 19 reviews and rated 3.3 stars:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...03260709&skuId=5764553&st=Google TV&cp=1&lp=2

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Interesting that the Revue is rated higher than the NSZ-GS7 and Co- Star but I don't think that means much. I am only aware of one member here, mcd2000, that has indicated ownership of all 4 models released to date and it would be interesting to hear his opinion on the matter. My opinion is the Blu-ray player models are best, better codec support. When I can swing it, I will buy the Sony NSZ-GP9, assuming it is released.

3. CatfishRivers

Well I think it is important in the sense that consumer pleasure/acceptance of the new GTV boxes is apparently no better than with first generation boxes - and this is being corroborated by lackluster sales of the new GTV boxes. We all knew that the first generation boxes had their issues and sold poorly.

IMO it just goes to show that a shiny new GTV box with a new chip is not in-and-of-itself what will save the GTV platform - but rather it will be the GTV software that is the major influencing factor.

I do think that Google has been gradually improving the GTV software in some areas - but other areas negate any positive momentum. For instance the recent issues with HBO GO compatibility. Also one recurring theme that I read in the reviews of the second generation GTV boxes - is annoying "freezes" that require the boxes to be unplugged.

Obviously this kind of thing contributes to the sub-par ratings. I don't think the new hardware is inferior - but rather there is an issue between GTV software and device firmware. However since the freeze-ups occur on both the Sony NSZ-ZS7 and the Vizio Co-Star - IMO this points to an issue with the GTV software itself.

Hopefully there will be a GTV v3 (it's already been leaked) that will elevate the GTV platform. We'll see......

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Yeah,
    NSZ-GT1 is still my favorite. Best design and codec support.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I just took some time to read more reviews on the Co-Star at Amazon and there are currently more than twice the number of 1-star ratings as 5-star ratings. Many of the 1-star ratings are total nonsense, complaint about a Vizio 55" HDTV with one, apparently the reviewer doesn't own and hasn't used a Co-Star and others include nonsense about things unrelated to what the product does but instead about what it doesn't do and since those things aren't claimed to be available, basically nothing more than whining about not doing their homework before purchase.

The Co-Star is of no interest to me due to the controller design, lacking codec support, and the fact the IR functions only work from the remote which won't be pointed toward all of the IR controllable devices, the wired blasters from the unit itself like the Revue and NSZ-GT1 use work better for me. The complaints about Google TV itself are the same we see for all 4 boxes released to date, the mass market wants something simpler, less powerful, less adaptable, and more limited which would solve those complaints just as Roku and Apple TV have done with their approach. I will continue to prefer something that can do more, even if it requires greater effort.

6. CatfishRivers

The Vizio Co-Star has just had a new firmware update that is supposed to improve performance in several ways. Hopefully with the new firmware update the reviews will be better going forward. Here is a link to an article explaining the improvements in the recent Co-Star update:

Vizio Co-Star update brings enhanced Google Play experience, boosts performance -- Engadget

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However I just came across this new detailed rather negative review of the GTV platform (specifically based on the Sony NSZ-ZS7) from The Verge. Negative reviews from mainstream press continue to hinder GTV sales IMO:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3640908/google-tv-jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: The above reviews are from third parties and do not constitute my own personal opinions of Google TV.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  7. googlethis

googlethis New Member

Posted this elsewhere but it looks like this would be a good place to post it again...

I liked the Revue but I had a couple of complaints. It was kind of sluggish at times and the Netflix buffering/error thing pissed me off. I have a really good internet connection with 25 down and 3 up ( 30 down and 5 up with speed boost) and Netflix ran flawlessly until they updated the Revue and I started getting that 2 minutes of play then an error then having to hit play again and it would usually play fine for the rest of the show. The audio being decoded by the Revue and being sent to the receiver as 5.1 although it was stereo and thus not allowing the receiver to go into pro logic mode if it needed to didn't bother me a lot at the time and I forgot about the lower volume too.

I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 and this thing is wonderful. The volume is back to being as loud as it was before the Revue was added to our system. I can bitstream through HDMI to our receiver and it can decode properly. Netflix never gives me an error and never has any buffering problems. It is very quick too (especially noticed in Chrome) and I noticed that the video looked crisper and sharper. I would have thought it was just my eyes playing tricks but my daughter's boyfriend said he thought the video looked nicer too, especially the blacks and colors.
    One complaint I had (seems to be solved now with latest firmware but still a little weary) is that the Sony sometimes loses the HDMI input from the Directv box. I reboot it and it is fine. I turned off the HDMI CEC which would turn off the NSZ-GS7 when the TV was turned off and it seemed to help after the update last month. After a couple weeks I turned the HDMI CEC back on and a couple days later the HDMI input dropped out on me so I turned it back off and then another firmware update came out this month. I haven't had another HDMI input problem since but still waiting to see.

One thing I love is that Sony has had a firmware update every month I've owned it. I bought it Sept 7th and after installing I got an update then later in the month I got another one. in October there was another update then this month I got another. Much better support than the Revue had in firmware updates.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012