Quantcast

Compare Co-Star to Logitech Revue

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Betaguy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

I am curious as to the problems encountered with the Logitech Revue, if there are similiar problems with the Co-Star?
    For instance all of the problems with Flash on the Revue which have been going on for over a year such as crashes and availability now the Adobe stopped supplying it for Android
    Various crashes of various programs and apps. Plex problems etc.
    In other words is it worth buying or is it another boon-doggle like the Revue?

2. snow11

snow11 New Member

I just got my co-star and i have a revue , So no flash crashes on web vid's not sure about the app i never updated my revue still has 2.1 on it

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I only own the Logitech Revue. But some of the published web reviews (see link below) of the Co-Star report a few glitches such as freeze-ups (where the Co-Star needs to be unplugged). IMO the Co-Star needs to be used for several weeks on numerous different sites before a definitive statement about Shockwave flash crashes can be made. Overall from everything I've read the new GTV boxes are slightly faster and slightly more stable than the first generation products. But keep in mind that all GTV products are currently running the same operating system. For my personal tastes I will wait until Google releases a new OS update before purchasing a new box:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-better-but-not-good-google-tv.html

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

I have both and so far I find little difference.I think the reviews are accurate.the co-star is faster and more stable plus the interface is a nice change.honestly I think that gtv just needs to be updated to jellybean for the performance improvements and also needs camera apis standard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I only have the Revue and can stream video from all sites I use with very infrequent crashes, it takes babying the box. The methods have been described here many times, they work, but it does take effort and care. Basically if you just use the Revue like most will, jumping about various sites, several apps running, several windows open, it will likely crash when you try to stream. If you are careful, minimum apps running, only the window being used open, uncluttered cache, it should run well. I have been doing this over a year, it doesn't take much effort but most will not go to the trouble, will just run it as you might expect, whine that it doesn't work and never get it right. I can't say it should work this way, only that it does work this way. I know my Windows PCs require being operated carefully to avoid crashes and freezes as well, not entirely different than Google TV. Catfish Rivers has reported that by running RAM Booster, he gets better results, it is basically an automated way of doing many of the things I have been doing manually all along, except for closing all but one window. Try that for improved results.

The Co-Star with a newer, more powerful processor, Marvell Armada 1500, should be more stable but probably requires the same general approach to operation. My first gen Sony NSZ-GT1 is very slightly more stable than my Logitech Revue, faster processor and more flash storage may be the reason. As far as differences between any of the four boxes released thus far, not a lot, the Co-Star has OnLive gaming, the Revue a video communication camera accessory and app, and the Sony boxes have better codec support. All run the same version of Android and Chrome and run most of the same apps, with minor variations.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Betaguy

Betaguy New Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Cnet did not have a very good review and pointed out several things it lacked. Since most of the issues depend on the OS waiting for Google to upgrade is probably the way to go. However I dont think the Logitech device will receive any more upgrades as they dont even respond to the problems anymore nor have any inventory. So it may take buying another brand of box to even view the Google upgrade when it becomes available.

7. ChrisG8

I am sure you are right, the Revue isn't likely to receive future updates, which is very unfortunate. Hopefully it will still function properly for a year or so before things start to head south but ultimately no updates will surely mean it won't be very useful. I wouldn't buy another one now because of that concern. My first generation Sony box should fare much better.

8. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

What really needs to happen to gtv is a nexus device.if Google actually believes in this product they need to spend the money, create a device that they would be proud of, and update the os to be in line with phone and tablet nexus.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

Manufacturers and consumers embraced Android phones and tablets, justifying development and investment. So far Google TV has been received so poorly with no much negative internet buzz, I don't know what can happen to turn things around. If Google spent a billion dollars trying to make it simpler to use, updated to the latest and greatest versions of Android and Chrome, reached agreements with content providers to support the platform and enticed Panasonic, Yamaha, Denon & Marantz, Wal-Mart, Target, and Sears to get involved, I don't think that would change. It is really frustrating since I love the product and own three boxes and actually use them.

If you are saying, just drop the Google TV name and call it Nexus TV or something else after it has been revamped, I can't offer a better suggestion, that may be as good a shot as any.

10. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

I'm saying they need to codevelop a set top box that has modern components (ie s4 dual core or a quad core plus 2qb ram) and they need to bring the platform to jb to keep costs down.just like Microsoft is making Windows 8 the base for pc, tablets, and phone, Google needs to keep all platforms at the same dev point and then move from there with the interface. They don't need to spend a billion doing it, but what they do need to do is make the system more usable for the every day person and not just early adopters. Also, they need to work with all of their content providers and either make it super easy to make native apps, or change the market/app process now where all apps work (no missing apis etc).gtv is either part of the android family or they should just drop it.

Becoming the standard TV interface will help with exposure, but it needs to be done right. Also, Google should try and work with Comcast, time Warner, cablevision,etc to create better cable boxes based on gtv and not the crap they have today.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

For me the Revue was a much better purchase. I have had the revue for ~ a year and love it. I love that the IR blaster is in the unit and has an IR Blaster that plugs into the back. Having the blaster at the unit seems like such a better idea to me and makes for a much better experience with controlling items. I reboot my Revue every few days and I don't have any issues for what I use it for (mainly Netflix, Cable/DVR and PlayOn (Hulu)). I bought the Costar and ended up selling it because I just didn't like the user experience (controlling it, it didn't seem very fast on menus). I really wish Logitech wouldn't have scrapped the Revue...would have loved to see what they could have come up with in newer generations.

• Like Like x 2
  12. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ditto!

13. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The GS7 seems more like a next generation Revue than the Co-Star, but the $200 price tag (like the Revue's) prices the device out of the mainstream market.