Quantcast

Comcast's IPTV Box Reportedly Clears The FCC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 5, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Comcast's IPTV box reportedly clears the FCC - FierceIPTV (click for full article)

New unit could be released by next year

November 29, 2012 | By Jim Barthold

"Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) apparently has a new IPTV set-top box design that's been cleared by the FCC. If released next year as part of the Xfinity service, as expected, the box would reinforce Comcast's ongoing march into the IP space, where the MSO has been pushing hard on a plethora of TV Everywhere products and services.

Wireless Goodness picked up on the filing of the box Comcast previously identified as X13-H. the unit, which is shown torn down in the process of receiving FCC clearance, is being built by Humax, not Pace Plc (LSE: PIC.L), as was previously believed to be the case. More likely, at this stage, the Humax box will serve as a client for the Pace gateway.

The unit is fully loaded with a MoCA cable in slot, TV out, SPDIF out, HDMI in/out, Ethernet and USB ports, the story said. The box fronts an SD card slot, suggesting there will be some way to retrieve content and store it for portable use. There is also a "record" indicator on the front of the box, offering a possible clue that it will be used to activate the SD card.

According to the Wireless Goodness report, the X13-H lacks internal storage, "which makes either external or network storage a necessity for recording." Network storage, considering the path the MSO has been taking, would seem a given; external storage is an intriguing possibility.

Since the box is still in the preliminary approvals stages, Comcast hasn't had much to say about it. The biggest clue as to when it might make an appearance is a 2013 copyright date on the manual shown on the FCC site."

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO this is further indication that Comcast has no intention of "opening up" to GTV - and they will continue to do everything within their legal means to shut out Google TV integration as much as possible.

Even though the upcoming Comcast IPTV box reportedly has HDMI in & out - I have my doubts that it will be "compatible" if hooked up to a GTV box.

Plus if someone already has the Comcast IPTV box - it doesn't seem likely that they would want an extra GTV box in the chain "on-top" of the Comcast box. It seems kind of redundant to me.....

The Comcast IPTV box probably won't have a web browser - so I'll most likely stick with Google TV. I suspect that Comcast will also have "tight control" about which apps can be used with their IPTV box. (Google Play market not likely to be supported).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Comcast is definitely not interested in cooperating with Google TV and only consumers can change that and should choose a TV provider that is suitable for use with Google TV, let Comcast know why. It wouldn't take too long for the company to get the message. If Comcast makes a streaming box that works better than or as well as Google TV, that would probably turn things in Comcast's favor. The Comcast internet service here in Little Rock is very good and AT&T U-verse is very good, I just choose whichever service handles my needs at the best price, currently U-verse but I don't dislike Comcast.