Quantcast

Comcast Suspends 250GB Data Cap - For Now

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 2, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Comcast suspends 250GB data cap (click for full article)

"Cable giant Comcast, one of the largest Internet providers in the US, today announced a suspension of its 250GB/month data cap policy while it looks for better alternatives.

The two new approaches it has in mind don't differ radically from the current setup, but they do improve it modestly by increasing data limits for all users. Comcast will trial the scenarios in two different markets this year (to be named later), and it will not enforce the cap at all for customers not in a test market. (Comcast draws a distinction between "enforcing" the 250GB data cap and "contacting the very small number of excessive users about their usage"-which will continue.)

Here are the two proposed approaches to limiting monthly data use:"

2. Aloysius

Aloysius New Member

It never gets old hearing the ISP guys trying to explain the caps such as the article pointed out

Instead of just simply admitting that it is a pure and greedy cashgrab, they just ignore the question or answer it as if another question was asked

3. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

I had Comcast service for a number of years and despite having up to 4 computers/tablets etc. on-line at once along with a number of regular TV's, roku streaming, google Tv, and Comcast telephone service I never exceeded 160GBs of data. I kept the Internet service and dropped all of the cable TV options (except limited basic cable that comes free with the internet package). No phone,no premium channels, only 2 users in the house now, Google TV and Roku for streaming plus thelimited basic cable. Guess what Comcast says my data usage increased to 240 GBs of data. Hmmnnn. They count the data, how can I tell if it's an accurate count?

To add insult to injury they just sent me a notice that in August they are going full digital with their limited basic TV service so any cable TV viewing will be counted towards my data cap. Appears that they are not going to allow cable cutters (or cut backers!) to get away so easily.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have Comcast for about 17 months now. My highest usage was about 25GB per month. I currently subscribe to their new "Economy Plus" internet tier - on special now for $14.99 per month (for 6 months). I get a speed of about 3.2 mbps (download) which is good enough for my needs.

I also get the Comcast "limited basic" TV package for $10/mo. I like the TV package because with a TV subscription they offer a lower rate for their internet plans - plus it saves me the hassle of putting up an outdoor antenna (which might not work that great anyway).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012