Quantcast

Comcast Launching Xfinity Streampix To Compete With Netflix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Comcast launching Xfinity Streampix to compete with Netflix (click for full article)

"Comcast is launching its own video streaming service this week, the company announced on Tuesday. Dubbed "Xfinity Streampix," the new service appears to address concerns that customers are increasingly attracted to online services such as Netflix, Amazon Video on Demand, and Hulu Plus.

Comcast already offers limited streaming access to current TV shows and other content to cable subscribers via its Xfinity TV service. Xfinity Streampix, on the other hand, will give users access to an expanded library of TV shows and movies. Disney-ABC Television Group, NBCUniversal, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution, and Cookie Jar Entertainment have signed on as launch partners for the service, which goes live on Thursday.

Like Xfinity TV, Streampix will be included in certain cable subscription packages. However, it will also be offered as a $4.99 per month add-on for other customers. Unfortunately, Comcast appears to be offering the service only to existing video services subscribers; if you're merely paying Comcast for its high speed Internet service, you won't be able to add Streampix.

Customers will be able to access Streampix content away from home via the Xfinity TV website and iPad app. Comcast said it plans to expand access to consoles like Xbox 360 as well as mobile devices running Android "in the coming year."

Given the fact that a cable box isn't needed to access the content, we see little reason why Comcast isn't offering a version of the service to its Internet-only subscribers. These users still have no other choice but to subscribe to competing services like Netflix, which already have much larger libraries of content to choose from and are already available on more devices."

2. CatfishRivers

Some bad, bad boys over at CNBC talking about shorting Netflix stock ........

News Headlines (click for full article)

"Comcast's plans to launch a video-streaming service could spell trouble for Netflix [NFLX 117.40 -4.45 (-3.65%) ], the "Fast Money" pros said Monday.

"I would short the stock rather than buy the stock," trader Stephen Weiss said, who added that he didn't get the valuation. "I'd rather be with Comcast or Verizon [VZ 38.49 0.03 (+0.08%) ], much deeper pockets. They could put these guys out of business eventually."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The video that was embedded in the CNBC news article I posted in the above link doesn't seem to be working currently - but can be viewed here:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000074452

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

Comcast launching new subscription VOD service - Entertainment News, Business News, Media - Variety (click for full article)

"Comcast's new subscription VOD service may seem to be all about countering Netflix, but the nation's largest cable operator actually has different competition in its sights.

Xfinity Streampix will launch Thursday with movies and TV content from past seasons licensed from its own programming unit, NBCUniversal, as well as Disney, Warner Bros., and Sony Pictures. While the business model and catalog-oriented content mix beg comparison to a certain Los Gatos, Calif.-based streaming service, Comcast is using Streampix to better position itself against rival satcasters and telcos who are vying for every last subscriber.

"We didn't set out to go after Netflix's business," said Marcien Jenckes, senior VP and GM of video services at Comcast. "We set out to create the most compelling multichannel offering to compete with DirecTV or Verizon Fios."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is all that I needed to know since I use Google TV with XFinity cable internet but don't have cable TV. I expected this to be the case but had hoped otherwise.

5. halox

halox New Member

I never take reports of Netflix's demise seriously by the media outlets. Media needs Netflix to fail. They need cable companies to succeed. They want you to be able to stream, yes, but not to completely leave them out of the loop.

The other day, I kid you not, there was a TV report about how Netflix had signed up RECORD NUMBERS OF SUBSCRIBERS over the holidays. However, the media reported, it was a BAD SIGN. Because, they said, it was for a 1 month trial of Netflix, and that's why they had the inflated numbers.

They did not report, however, that Netflix has ALWAYS HAD FREE TRIALS. So that number is actually a CONSTANT.

That's what I mean.

6. CatfishRivers

I am a Comcast customer and I recently recieved an email for a free Streampix trial:

"XFINITY Customers:

Enjoy a free sample of
    XFINITY Streampix™! From

May 22-28, you'll get unlimited streaming of 24 classic movies and the first season of 10 top TV shows including:
    Ghostbusters, Stuart Little, and
    The Big Lebowski

Lost, 30 Rock and
    Friday Night Lights.

Watch instantly on multiple screens including your TV in HD, computer, iPad®, iPhone® or iPod touch"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately every single free trial video that I tried to stream with my Revue required Miscrosoft Silverlight - So this new Comcast Streampix service is totally useless with Google TV. -:(