Quantcast

Combined Wireless and Wired Internet Connection?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by pilotlg, Jul 12, 2012.

1. pilotlg

pilotlg New Member

I have GTV on a NSX40GT1. My internet is pathetic and I don't have other options for a faster connection so I have my TV hard wired to the wireless router. Since my GTV isn't on my wifi network anymore I can't get access to my content on my PC and have not gotten plex working yet since I can't stream. Is there any way to have my GoogleTV hard wired and on my wifi network simultaneously? Any input is appreciated

2. chopper

chopper Active Member

You need a fast connection all other efforts are a big waste of time. Sorry!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What speed do you get, try Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ? Using hardwired to the router along with other devices connected by wireless shouldn't matter, you should be able to access all servers on the network but the network/router must be set up properly. Any Wireless-G or N router should be fine for local streaming from other devices within your network but as Chopper states, you need a minimum speed level for internet streaming. I would say a 2.5Mbps internet service, really achieving that speed would be adequate for any SD streaming, and a 6Mbps internet service, actually achieving that speed would cover any HD streaming service accessible with Google TV. If Vudu is added, I would up that to 9Mbps. My network consists of one computer connected by ethernet cable and about 15 devices by Wireless-G. My service is 12Mbps AT&T U-verse and I have no speed problems streaming anything I can access, including Vudu using a PS3 or other Blu-ray player.

4. pilotlg

pilotlg New Member

My internet speed is 7Mbps. My building has contracts with 2 providers, one provides top speed of 11Mbps but the speed was not consistent, so I'm now on the other service providing 7Mbps that I've only seen drop down to 5Mbps when I've speed tested (far better than the other service).
    I guess what I'm seeing from your response ChrisG8, is that I should be able to have all my devices connected regardless if the TV is hardwired. So my Router must not be configured correctly currently because my Ipod, Android phone, PC and Laptop don't see the TV when they are connected to my wifi network. I have a Centurylink wireless modem. Can you point me in the right direction of how it should be configured?
    Thanks for the assistance

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV isn't a DLNA server, DLNA client only, and none of the devices on my network see any of my Google TV devices either. The reverse, Google TV seeing all DLNA servers or all servers accessible by Google TV works fine.

Your speed 7Mbps should be excellent for all things Google TV. Let us know the make and model number of the Centurylink modem/router being used. There are far better network guys here than me so between us, we should be able to help you out.

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

Your speed is excellent, the way you were talking it sounded like you were on dial up or something really poor. I have heard this works but it's more like a 10-20% speed boost:

Try this and use only the WIFI Option and see if you like the results? I set up my router right next to GTV to get great results. I think the weak signal has more to do with a poor quality wifi on the Revue than my modem or internet provider as my laptop gets better range.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014