Quantcast

Code-Writing And Logitech

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by chicha29, Nov 29, 2011.

1. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Microsoft is a software-writing company. That's what they do. But Logitech? Isn't "tweaking" the update supplied to them by Logitech somewhat out of their league? They're famous for their harmony remote, but code-wise, is it that complex? The same goes for all the other devices that Logitech sells. The question is: Do they know what they're doing, code-wise???

Or are we dealing with corporate politics, at this point, as regards the delay in the update?

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, you can't sell computer peripherals without the software to support them. Logitech not only makes the hardware but they code device drivers and various software programs which shows off their full functionality.

No.

They got the Harmony Remote technology by acquiring Intrigue Technologies back in 2004.

Codewise, I believe Logitech has the brain trust to develop and maintain any platform that they focus. The whole fiasco with Logitech is more likely to do with mishandling the product and poor management decisions. The worker bees at Logitech at pretty smart cookies. The management on the other hand has yet to exemplify good judgment since the release of the product. As ceasing development for the Revue five months after it was release isn't a smart to do to aggregate customer loyalty.

At this point, we're probably dealing with the corporate policies not politics. The update is probably going back and forth between development and quality assurance. Sony rushed out their update to their customers. Their value additions was a lot less complicated then Logitech and yet a bunch of bugs were also discovered as of late; DHCP issues, WiFi problems, and Netflix broken.

Let me give you an example of the QA policies. Back when I used to do QA for Sega during the holiday season, we used to hirer temps and solicit overtime to other departments just so that we meet the minimum QA time requirements in order to make the product release deadlines. I haven't worked for Logitech, however, I would assume that they have a similar policy and that could be part of the hold up.

• Like Like x 2