Quantcast

Coax to HDMI

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by dtots89, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dtots89

dtots89 New Member

Just got the Logitech Revue for Christmas and am very pleased with it so far! The only problem is with the live TV. Our setup is a coax cable that runs directly into the TV. I know that this must first pass through the Revue in order for it to work, but I am not sure of what the best way to accomplish this is because there is only an HDMI IN on the Revue.

Any help converting my coax cable to the HDMI in would be greatly appreciated!!

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Check out ebay, or best buy and radio shack, they will have the coax to HDMI cable.

3. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

As far as I"m aware, you'll need a converter box from your cable company. There's no such thing as a coax to HDMI cable and even if there was it wouldn't do you any good. You need a tuner so you can tune into the channel you want to watch. The output from the tuner can be passed over HDMI.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dtots89

dtots89 New Member

Thanks for the help! Lucas I appreciate it but Malachi is right, there's no such thing as a coax to HDMI cable. I'm not sure about getting the box from the cable company though because they might attach a monthly fee with it.

Is there any way to get the box from Amazon or some other online retailer? I've been doing a lot of internet searching and I know that I need a box, I just can't find this "magic box" anywhere. Is it something I can only get from my cable provider?

5. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Good question. I currently don't use cable tv, however, it wouldn't hurt to call up your local cable company and just ask them..
    If you do get an answer, and it's not to your liking when you do find out what you need, try going to Ebay..
    Although, I think the answer will come from your cable co.though... Just a thought.

6. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Would this work for you?

Coax Composite Component Video To DVI/HDMI Converter With Cable TV Tuner

• Like Like x 2
  7. dtots89

dtots89 New Member

Thanks Rickaren!! That looks perfect! Now if only I can find a device like that for a more reasonable price I'll be all set. Does anyone have any experience with this device? I read up a lot on cable boxes and found that some are specifically programmed for a particular cable company.

Thanks!!

8. WalterVB123

WalterVB123 New Member

I want to view TV with an antenna also, but have researched and found you need a Digital Set Top Box with HDMI. The best one I have found is a Channel Master with DVR. However, I don't want to spend $350.

Does anyone know if a coax to USB Digital tuner will work with the Revue? They work great with computers, but don't know if the Revue would have a compatible driver???

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Try eBay for DTVPal..echostars first version..I believe it came with HDMI, but please research to be certain.

10. WalterVB123

WalterVB123 New Member

11. WalterVB123

WalterVB123 New Member

12. snyderman714

snyderman714 New Member

i don't thing so but you can go over to amazon they have a (kworld HDMI DVI VGA Qam/atsc external digital tv tuner box) for 79.99 that will work.
    it dose air and unscrambled cable, just like your tv.

13. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

I don't believe that is going to work. Apparently it only outputs DVI and provides a converter to convert the DVI to HDMI. The problem is, DVI doesn't support audio. So, to get sound you have to run separate RCA cables. The Sony Blu-ray box doesn't have separate RCA jacks for audio. I don't know about the Revue.

14. snyderman714

snyderman714 New Member

oh wow, your right it uses a DVI to HDMI connector. i guess i should have read that better
    sorry for the misinformation.

15. zmonster

zmonster New Member

monoprice has a dvi + audio to hdmi converter for about $30

16. HomeAVPro

HomeAVPro New Member

What you need is an HD cable box with a HDMI output. A coax to hdmi converter is intended to run HDMI over coaxial cable, but strictly a medium to move a signal from a transmitter to a receiving unit. They're not designed to convert a cable signal to HDMI. Typical setup would be HDMI out of a bluray player into the transmitting converter, then into the wall. At a remote TV you would run coax to the receiving converter and then HDMI out to the TV.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Aw, what the heck... Since the two guys above me decided to bump a nine month old thread, I might as clarify something mentioned in this thread.

You don't need anything extra for the Kworld External ATSC/QAM TVBox HDMI Edition (SA295-Q DE). It has no problems with audio out over HDMI with the 12/15/2010 firmware update.

18. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I almost got that ome since i dont have cable... didnt knw they fixed the audio! I ended up going with a TivoHD (unsubscribed) Found it used on amazon for $60 shipped. It ended up being a cheaper option that gave me the extra feature of pause/rewind/fwd live tv. iI highly recommend it.

19. 98clru

98clru New Member

another option would be a tivo hd or premier. dual ota digital tuners plus time shifting for not much more than that $350 adaptor in original post with lifetime subscription. I got my hd for $175 on clearance and added $400 for lifetime subscription. So for $575 I got dual tuner converter to hdmi that I will never have to pay for again (compared to $90 plus for cable with inferior dvr which now is $110/month) with time shifting. I think the premiers are in the same price range now. The gtv and tivo complement each other well and if hulu plus is ever avail on gtv I won't be time shifting much. Oh yeah, $60 for a clearview2 antenna at costco but that will vary by location but 18 months later no regrets.