Quantcast

Co-star won't boot, gets stuck when trying to factory reset.

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by h8isgr8, Dec 11, 2013.

1. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

So I've had my co-star for 15 months and now that the warranty has expired it decided to crap the bed.

I came home from work to find a black screen. Tried to reset it a bunch of times and it just either restarts with a black screen or sometimes with the Vizio logo, but just sits there indefinitely. When I try to do a factory reset and select the option to proceed, the progress bar just sits there and never advances.

I'm pretty sure I'm SOL on this one, but figured I would give it one last shot before it goes in the trash. I'll tell you one thing though, I'm seriously ****ing done with anything GTV related. I gave GTV a second chance with the co-star after having the Revue leave a bad first impression. I think I'm just going to rebuild my HTPC with a CableCARD tuner.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try unplugging it for a while and disconnect any devices you have connected to the USB port. Then try the factory reset again.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

I've been messing with it for about a week and it sat unplugged from everything for at least a day and many other hours between attempts. I really think it's toast without some advanced recovery technique, which isn't available. I can't find any info on anyone ever pulling an update so I can even try to load firmware via update.zip on usb.

I'll just dust off the Revue and use that until I can resurrect my HTPC.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I actually have this issue every time the power goes out (a lot in my area), and other random times as well. This should get you to the Factory Reboot screen:

1. Unplug the Costar from power for 30 seconds
    2. Power it on, then quickly press the pin-hole reset button on the bottom for 20 seconds
    3. Unplug the Costar again, take the paperclip out of the pin-hole, and wait for 5 seconds. Power it on. Select Factory Reset (if you select Reboot it won't fix the issue)

And yes, this is pain in the ass, especially since you have to set up the co-star again, but it's better than having a dead box.

P.S. If Chromecast supported Amazon Instant Video I would get it and take a sledgehammer to the Co-Star (my 3rd replacement by the way).

5. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

Thanks Phillykef, but at this point I think it's actually a hardware problem.

I don't have any trouble getting to the factory reset screen. I messed around with it a bunch more since my last post and got it to boot a few times. The first time it froze at the second screen (pair remote), then after probably a dozen more attempts to boot it froze at the first screen. Many more attempts later I actually got it to go all the way through setup. I was thrilled, and then it rebooted to a blank screen again.

I'm not going to waste any more time with it.

6. joecitizen

joecitizen New Member

I had this same problem, Its the remote... One of the times you did a factory reset(Trying to get it to work again) you must've changed some settings on the remote somehow. If the remote isn't set up right That box will act all kinds of F!@#ed up.. What I can remember, Is I did a reset, I reset the remote, I think I even changed the code to the TV or something, My sound bar too, I think... Once the blue screen would come up with the v.. The network would connect and by the time I made it to my factory reset on the OS, it would freeze, some times faster than that. I would l hit the reset pin, once the black screen that ask's you if you want to do the the reset comes up, reset it, and try your best to program your remote correctly, even to your tv too. Even try this... Unplug the vizio for 30, sec's and press the the vizio symbol in(Do both for 30, secs).If nothing...Take out the batteries and press power for 30, secs.. Finally, If lyou still got nothing Press every key twice... Only thing I'm not sure about is if you plug the Vizio in after 30, secs... And do the button cmd's while it's on or off.. I mean try it both way's... This should factory reset the sh@# out of it and the remote.. I really think it has something to do with the remote.. Hope it works out,

7. Scoutx

Scoutx New Member

joecitizen, honestly reading your recommendations, I can't tell if you're joking or not. "Press every key twice"? At the same time I'm flustered enough to try just about anything. Mine did the exact same behaviour as the original posters. I've tried everything else. The only other indication I've read is that the power supply is jacked up somehow. This is almost acting like a hardware problem... jacked ram or undervoltage somewhere or something. I might try to find an old universal adapter and try it out, but I'm with him - back to using my old revue (which I have to say has a few things over the co-star still to this day). I'd pay double for an over powered up to snuff hardware gtv box, and frankly I don't care what it looks like. Make it a HTPC for all I care, but give it good cooling, stability, sufficient ram for cache and a few hundred gig of onboard storage.. and gigabit ethernet.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think you could be on to something. I have a hunch this problem is related to the power adapter......

9. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

I enjoy my co-star many months until recently i installed showbox app(sideload) it work pretty good until now. It crash my co-star 2-3 times and i have to do factory reset everytime.... now bluetooth not work anymore. Is my co-star dying? :mad:

sent from sero 7 pro using tapatalk2

10. cf8510

cf8510 New Member

Just an FYI it I do not believe it to be a power problem. I'm in the same boat, out of warranty, cannot get it to load, cannot find firmware online. I tried 3 other 5v >3A transformers and they did the same thing. I also measured the current on my transformers, and everything appeared fine. I dismantled my Co-Star and removed the USB board, in case there was a short or some problem there. I also found another button on the top of the circuit board. When I pressed this one, the cpu led started flashing, and it appeared to load properly. It took me back to the restart or factory reset screen, but this time, the factory reset worked. My Co-Star has been running for six hours now, no problems. I left it out of the case, and put the heat sink back on and a fan pointed at it. I also left the usb unplugged, I do not use it anyways. Regardless of the shape i left it in, the button on top seemed to do more than the reset button on bottom. Also just wanted to let you know it may not be the power supply, at least in my case.

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't side load apps since I am afraid of what might happen when the app won't run properly, force crashes may not always be as simple to fix as uninstalling the offending app. I would say uninstall the app and reset to factory settings and see if you can get it back.

12. Scoutx

Scoutx New Member

Took it apart, mine doesnt' have any button on any board other than the reset on the bottom. Still doesnt' work.

13. Brian202020

Brian202020 New Member

I got 3 Co-Star's for Christmas 2012. One for the living room, one for the master bedroom, and one for the 6 year olds room. The one in the Master bedroom did this in October 2013. I talked with Vizio customer service and tried everything we could think of and no luck. They replaced it because it was still within a year of purchase. Now the living room Co-Star just did the same thing. This time it is out of warranty, so I just went to Target and bought a Netgear NeoTV Prime to replace it. It was on clearance for $49 and my wife works for Target corporate so we also got a discount on top of that. I like the Co-Star remote better and I like the that Vizio is good about updates, but the hardware is garbage. I'm batting 1 for 3. I'm just waiting for the third original one in the 6 year olds room to crap out now.

Does anyone know if I can get the full functionality out of the Vizio remote (from the dead Co-Star) if I sync it to the NeoTV? I hate the NeoTV's remote.

14. Nick Olson

Nick Olson New Member

I found that in my case, it was a solder issue. I opened the bottom of the unit and blew heat on it while powered on for 20 minutes. After immediately unplugging the unit and booting it back up i have not had a problem since. I thought of this fix after Vizio refused to replace the refurbished unit they sent me 3 months ago since it was based off of the original purchase date. Old XBOX 360 blanket trick, minus the blanket, plus heat.

15. dellb

dellb New Member

Nick, Your resolution sounds more like your heat-blower dislodged
    a piece of dust or lint which was shorting the circuitry.

Edit:
    Carefully cleaned the boards of dust from the board and heatsink
    paste, but no dice. I own two Co-Stars, and one is fine, so it's not
    the software or updates.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  16. dellb

dellb New Member

I reformatted the darn thing again. Has anyone noticed that it keeps giving error notification during updates that one particular GooglePlayServices App ID# is incompatible? Well, based upon this error notification, I'm now testing a reset with zero app updates allowed (ZERO). So far, it's not locking up. I'll now go to vizio forums to see if there's anything relative there.