Quantcast

Co-Star without Cable STB

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gkamieneski, Feb 25, 2013.

1. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Allow me to play the devil's advocate. Please offer me a concise list of services I would be missing out on if I connected the Co-Star box with one HDMI cable to the second HDMI port on my TV, the first port being connected to the xfinity STB directly, i.e., no pass through with the Co-Star?

I am asking this in view of the heat concerns about leaving the Co-Star on all the time. Also, I find that most of my reasons for buying GoogleTV and so far my use of it, has been internet content, not the available overlay utility for cable content.

Thanks for your insight.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is absolutely not necessary to connect anything to the HDMI input on any Google TV device, it will work fine and all Google TV internet TV sources will work fine. As far as the heat concerns, leave it on and in the open, well ventilated, I run three Google TV devices 24 hours a day and all remain cool enough that no harm is done. If there was a defect with the Co-Star causing overheating and damage, returns would overwhelm Vizio and they would be out of the Google TV business quickly. Electricity usage is minimal, cost is minimal and heat generated with such a small amount of electricity usage is minimal, nobody wants to have to unplug, then plug-in and wait for Google TV to boot every time it is used and I can't imagine any significant number of users do that.

I know the overheating issue gets reported and repeated ad infinitum but I don't believe it. I have read the same thing about the three models I own and use and can keep cool.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Yes, but what functionalities am I missing out on if I don't do HDMI in from xfinity STB? TV guide type services? Program information and searching?

thx,

4. ChrisG8

Missing convenience of both connected to a single HDMI input and the Google TV overlay with possibly different guide information which may be better or worse. Searches can still be done and Google TV can still know what TV source is being used and can still control the STB but once the program is selected, the TV will need to be on the correct HDMI input. Google TV is not getting the guide information from the HDMI input, that comes from the internet. The convenience factor in my household is important for the female head of household, she likes using a single HDMI input, same controller, and switching from OTA to internet TV easily. The system she uses most often includes a Blu-ray player with Google TV so she can even play Blu-ray and DVD using the same controller without having to switch HDMI inputs on the HDTV.

5. gkamieneski

gkamieneski Member

Thanks, Chris. That is exactly what I was looking for and was my expectation. For my part, our household female would rather not have an extra remote to deal with over and above the xfinity remote.

6. ChrisG8

At least in my case, the Google TV remote works so well with TiVo that a single remote is used and the TiVo remote is hidden in a drawer. I have not used Comcast XFinity with Google TV and don't know if that would be the same situation. I also don't have confidence the Co-Star remote will do as good a job controlling other devices as the Logitech K700 with Logitech Revue and Logitech K700 with Sony NSZ-GT1. Since I don't have a Co-Star, I can't know that and it might do really well but based on what I have read and its design with having IR sent from the remote rather than the box and connected IR transmitters, I am skeptical and that is one of the reasons I purchased the Sony NSZ-GS7 to get a current ARM based model instead of the Co-Star.