Quantcast

Co-Star with Windows Media Center & Ceton Echo as DVR/STB? Ideas & Solutions?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tedb, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tedb

tedb New Member

There are already a few posts around here about the issue of the Co-Star not being able to fully control WMC or an extender (e.g. the guide for the spotlight app), so I thought we could post ideas and solutions here.

2. tedb

tedb New Member

What I do know as of the latest update (sorry - not sure which version as of 10/30/2013):

When setting up Ceton Echo as a Internet Media Device:
    I can control my Ceton Echo with the Co-Star remote:
    - Change Channels work
    - Up,Down, Left & Right buttons work
    - the three horizontal line button on the remote offers a few options like program info, assign actions to the color keys etc.

When attempting to set up the Ceton Echo as a DVR:
    There are options for Microsoft and Windows Media Center brands (Not sure if it was "Windows Media Center" or just "Media Center") - Noether of these could control the Ceton, but I set it up like this anyway, and lost all control of the Cewton (it removed the "Internet Media Device" too).

When trying to "trick" the Co-Star into thinking my Ceton Echo was a Digital Tuner STB or DVR:
    I have been trying them all A-Z to see if any of the codes miraculously work. I've got as far as F for set top boxes so far.

Any idea if the Co-Star remote powers off and on all the devices (like harmony one remotes)?

So, that's where I am now. I will continue to use my Harmony ONE remote for this set-up and go to the Co-Star remote when I need Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc. My next step is to try the Co-Star with my Asrock HTPC running W7MC (built-in IR receiver) and see if I can do any "tricks". Another test project will be the Co-Star with a 2012 MacMini running EyeTV.