Quantcast

Co-Star with Sceptre HD TV (the Sceptre has issues not the Co-Star!)

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by kj2005, Sep 4, 2012.

1. kj2005

kj2005 New Member

I've been doing a lot of trial and error to get some experiences with the Co-Star. After switching cables, I finally just moved the Co-Star from one display to another (Sceptre HD TV - lower budget TV the kids use) to a Vizio HD TV. Suddenly, some of my issues "disappeared." I suspect the Sceptre has some issues with HDMI handshaking which is causing the audio/video signal loss which causes a 1-3 second outage before the HDMI source rediscovers the Co-Star. THis happens during Live TV or while watching Netflix content from the Co-Star app. That was annoying, but I did not have the same happen on a Vizio HD TV elsewhere in the house.

The other problem I had was the Spotlight TV app on the Co-Star an even streamed audio files (MP3) were skipping or echoing which made the audio really bad. On the other Vizio TV there were no problems. I even copied some MP3 files to a USB stick and plugged it into the Co-Star and playback had the same audio skipping so I knew the wired LAN connections for the Co-Star and my Media server were not likely having any latency issues.

What a pain to find this out. I figured if the kids actually ruined or broke the Spectre HD TV it would not be "too bad" since it was low cost, but now I almost want them too :rolleyes: so we can replace that bad unit. I looked for a firmware upgrade but they do not have one for my model, only another one.

So that resolves most of my issues with the Co-Star per se, at least in the first few days of experimenting.

On the Vizio TV in a couple of hours of other use tonight the Co-Star had the blank screen with Live TV audio and no picture which was annoying, and a few of the apps crashed as usual---even the Notification app about 1 minute after I started the Co-Star and I downloaded an App update. I guess there's room for improvement in the stability.

2. tkrawlins

tkrawlins New Member

I had the same problem. I went to walmart and got a new vizio high speed hdmi cable and it fixed the sceptre issue!