Quantcast

Co-Star Teardown

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mgm1979, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

What makes the Co-Star tick, courtesy of iFixit

Vizio Co-Star Teardown - iFixit

• Like Like x 4
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

1 GB RAM and 4 GB flash memory? Is that what we expected and how does it compare to the Sony NSZ-GS7?

3. Luxferro

Luxferro New Member

[h=2]Specs[/h]
    • Marvell Armada1500(88de3100)[SUP]1[/SUP] 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, with a 750 MHz GPU[SUP]2[/SUP]
    • 1 GB DDR3 Memory
    • 8 GB Samsung Flash NAND - KLM8G2FEJA-A002

Pretty similar, smaller nand, and other hardware differences (1 USB vs 2USB, no optical audio out) that probably make up the differences in price $100 vs $200.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The hardware specs are better than most all of the cheap android Chinese TV boxes/dongles that have been flooding the market recently.

Many of the Chinese android TV boxes have a 1 GHz single core ARM processor and half the DDR3 memory of the Co-Star. (although a few do have 1 GB of DDR3). Also many of the Chinese boxes/dongles don't include a controller (must be purchased ala carte).

The dongles are Wi-Fi only with no ethernet. I don't believe the Chinese boxes are able to access the Hulu web site directly either. Some of the Chinese boxes do run android 4.0 - so there would be more apps available that could be installed versus Google TV.

5. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

Can the Co-Star run the Hulu Plus App, or access the site?

6. ChrisG8

Not yet, at least not directly. When you try to access Hulu, I believe you get a message that a Google TV app for Hulu Plus is being developed. I don't think it is a very high priority project unfortunately. I would assume access to Hulu Plus by use of a PC and a server of some kind, maybe PlayOn or Plex or some other would allow Hulu Plus access, I know I access Hulu with PlayOn but haven't tried Hulu Plus yet. That is a clunky way in any event and an app for Hulu Plus is what we want.

7. ChrisG8

Yes, those Android boxes are a dead end and who thinks any software updates will ever happen for those. This little box is quite a piece of hardware for $100 in my opinion. I have used Marvell Qdeo for many years in Blu-ray players and it is a great choice for video scaling and processing and not a cheap choice.

8. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

Yeah, I've run TVersity for over a year now. I've given some consideration to PlayOn, just haven't looked at it yet, and this is the first time I've heard of Plex. Since this can run apps from the store, I've also considered just getting a decent RDC app and just remote in to the computer I store files on. That way I can just let the computer do the work and not worry about some file server being able to transcode. Would also allow me to play some of my computer games using the HDTV. Kind of like a localised version of OnLive.

9. ChrisG8

I am not very technical but I don't think a remote desktop connection app will be a good solution, with download from the internet, upload to the internet and back down to the Google TV. I think we want something that will work directly within our home network for access to local computers but maybe if you have really fast upload and download speeds it would work. I purchased the Plex app but haven't done anything with it yet. I love PlayOn, it works great but it is standard definition only. Figuring out if Plex can be used for access to blocked sites might be a good solution but I don't know if it can or not, although at 99 cents, someone able to set up something like that could sure get us an answer without risking much money.

10. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

Well that's what I'm talking about. Using a RDC app to connect to the desktop across the local computer.

11. ChrisG8

That is not really what I would call remote then, not sure which app you are talking about. I consider a remote desktop connection to mean from somewhere other than within one's own network although as I stated, I am not a technical guy, certainly not aware of many options for network sharing of files and software.

12. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

Yeah, I get that, I do tech support so I understand your reasoning. Regardless of being on the same network or not, you would still use "remote connection" software to access the desktop from another machine/device. There are a few android apps for doing it, Splashtop being the first that comes to mind. And it's technically not for sharing files/software across the network. RDC is for accessing a machine from another computer/device and working on it as if you were sitting in front of it.

The general idea is that you would be working as if on a streaming service like OnLive, exceppt that you would be working from the local network instead of the internet. You'd launch the application, log into your computer, and it would be as if you were doing something on your computer even though physically, you're doing it from your device (tablet/smartphone/co-star) instead.

13. ChrisG8

Sounds like that has potential to be very useful, I hope you get a chance to try out one or two and can let us know.

14. Rrok007

Rrok007 New Member

Sure thing. I'll be happy to post up any observations.

15. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  16. ChrisG8

That is the link included in the first post in this thread.

17. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

Sorry don't know how I missed that I usually do better then that!

18. ChrisG8

That's alright, it looks like a good piece of hardware and good news is worth repeating.:)