Quantcast

Co-Star setup

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by ogreen, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ogreen

ogreen New Member

I bought a Co-Star last week and spend sometime this weekend playing around with different setups. I want to feed my Directv HR24 to the HDMI input and then have the HDMI output connect to my Pioneer VSX-1121 (which is connected to my display). Under which setting do I setup the VSX-1121? I would have assumed the HDMI Out menu but that seems to be strictly for TVs. I would like to control the VSX-1121 volume and power using HDMI-CEC if possible.

I also found this remote extender which works really for my HR24 that is in a media closet.
    Amazon.com: Next Generation Remote Control Extender: Electronics

Thanks in advance for any help.

OG

2. yenool1

yenool1 New Member

I have a smiliar setup.
    Before I got the Co-Star: AT&T U-Verse box connected via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-818v Receiver (which outputs audio to 5.1 surround) connected via HDMI to my TV (video only, I believe - probably irrelevant to this problem).
    Now I have the Co-Star: Insert it in the system between the AT&T box and Pioneer receiver (all via HDMI connections). But it seems like it just acts as a pass-through.
    I get Co-Star/Google TV video but no Co-Star/Google TV sound.
    i.e., when I launch apps (have tried multiple - Google Play Music, YouTube native, etc.) or any Co-Star menus, I still hear the audio from my U-Verse programming although the video from the apps is on screen.
    I've done the reset to factory settings thing per tech support.
    On the second setup attempt, I did NOT set up device settings for the TV or the U-Verse box and tried JUST setting up the receiver as a device - no luck, same results.
    Any further thoughts on this?
    Could HDMI 1.3 cables be the culprit?
    Thanks in advance.

3. amartin

amartin New Member

I glanced at an online manual for the pioneer receiver you have. It does not get audio from hdmi. It treats hdmi as a passthrough to the TV. You probably have a separate audio connection from the at&t box to the receiver(optical or analog audio). Here's the section from the manual:

"On the rear panel, you must connect to the
    audio jacks from a set of audio/video inputs
    (for example,
    DVR/VCR
    as shown in the
    illustration).
    • Without this connection, HDMI audio will
    still be output from your TV or flat panel TV
    (though no sound will be heard from this
    receiver)."