Quantcast

Co-Star remote controller 'tilt feature' gotcha

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by degsie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. degsie

degsie Member

I came across this on a post here recently and it hit me like a brick! The Co-Star physical remote has a tilt sensor which detects which side of the remote is 'front facing' and which is 'back'. The idea is that the 'back' side of the remote is disabled to stop accidental key presses. The theory is fine except when you use a remote by holding it vertically the key-press detection become intermittent as the remote flip-flops between what it thinks is front and back. This leads to what looks like communication issues between the remote and the co-star unit.

I have seen numerous posts about remote problems and it makes wonder if this is one of the reasons why. So my co-star 'tip' is to hold the remote in a more horizontal position to avoid this flip-flopping. You can easily test this by using the trackpad in a horizontal position and then slowly move to vertical. You will get to a position when the pointer stops moving.

I see no mention of this in the user manual which is pretty poor :(

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. rschauby

rschauby New Member

Also makes using the keyboard side while lounging in the couch or bed impossible without sitting up.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Rather than sitting up, try tilting the remote so it's flat for a moment and then bring it up to where you can see it. Does that help?

4. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

This is the technique I have employed for a couple weeks now, and it seems to work fine...somewhat of a pain, as it seems like an extra step, but it significantly reduces the orientation confusion of the remote, so it's well worth it.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I only have to hold it level for a brief moment with my Sony. Maybe it takes longer with the Vizio, and that's why more Co-Star users are noticing it?