Quantcast

Co Star Not Booting Up

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by yorT, Sep 15, 2013.

1. yorT

yorT New Member

I had to factory reset my vizio co star 4 times now. I'll get app force close issues (from a bunch of apps) so in order to fix it i'll unplug the co star and plug it back in. Well sometimes it just won't start back up. I either just get the vizio logo or a black screen and it just sits there. In order to fix this I have to do a factory reset. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've had the co star for over a year with little issues here and there but this is just unusable. I hate having to go through the setup for the co star up over and over again.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you sideloaded apps that are listed as "not compatible" from the Google Play Store? IMO it's possible a corrupt app might be causing your problem.

I suggest trying to uninstall your apps one-at-a-time. And then by process of elimination notice if you have a lot of improvement after removing a specific app. The culprit might also be a compatible app from the Google Play Store - but I would try the sideloaded apps first.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  3. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

It finally happened!! lol I was looking through the setting,and accidentally hit factory reset..oh well that wasnt the first time..I did that before on my previous revue..
    hopefully that will kick things up a notch waiting for updates

4. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Catfish..it was nothing that I was missing anyway with that reboot..oh well,it was just a relief having all those other unwanted apps to go bye bye and free up space..where is Jellybean or Kitkat anyway? just thought I'd throw that in there :)

5. yorT

yorT New Member

None of the apps are side loaded. The apps which were failing were: google play, primetime, play music, and youtube. So it's apps that come preinstalled on the co star.

6. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

I think the last update cause this on your co-star. I got last update afew month back and I do alot sideload app that mess up my co-star I have to do factory reset to clear and start fresh again.Your co-star need previous fw or update it again...you can contact vizio support and tell them your problem....
    Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

my co-star is in the process of being replaced with the newer model.after spending an hour on the phone with Vizio,then an extra call about my extended warranty,got a re-embursement coming woohoo!

8. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

last night we had a internet outage,I often wondered if that killed my co-star..because it always acted sluggish after.
    I tried to reset i..but it kept dragging me back to previous menu screens,could not enter password,net address etc..it kept locking up or freezing,so its B03 next up for me

9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

lol you should have seen it when I had to resort to my revue,all our fave apps we're use to on the co-star..it did not accept,or were too advanced for the revue...oh well,I'll iron all that out witht the new box

10. jcorey

jcorey New Member

I started getting this today. I rebooted, and it just went to a black screen after the V logo. Try, and try again, with the same result. I did a factory reset, and it started up. Now I'm trying to log in to my Google accounts, and it's telling me they are invalid Gmail accounts. I have a Google Apps domain, and so my addresses are user@domain.xxx. It doesn't even try to connect with Google and verify, just spits back an invalid address error. Was this something in last update (5.3.0)? They only let you use pure GMail accounts now? I have another box, which already had my accounts loaded. I tried adding another one, and it too fails with the same error.

11. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

that same exact thing happened to my VAP co-star..so I traded up to the B03..much nicer for a second go round of the co-star

12. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

This happened to me last night. Turned TV on, black screen. Unplugged Co-Star, plugged back in boots to black screen. Had to unplug several times in order to get it to the screen where I could factory reset. Unsure of the cause. Has this ever repeated on anyone?

13. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Welcome to the dead/dying Co star owners club

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have a hunch this problem is related to the power adapter going bad prematurely.

15. deadringer28

I am trying to figure out if i should cut my losses while I'm still within my 90 day return window or deal with a replacement down the road

16. Amuzeme

Amuzeme New Member

Cut your losses. The problem is just going to just get worse. The longer you wait the harder it will be to deal with Vizio for a replacement.

17. deadringer28

I'm actually good with that answer. Time isn't much of a problem as I do have a 2 year extended warranty. My wife likes the Vizio a lot so convincing her is another story. I could have had a Roku 2 XS with two remote for 54 bucks and passed. Now I'm kicking myself.

18. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

The GoogleTV experience requires quite a bit of self-kicking :) I'm still marginally in the camp that it will be worth it once/if we get the JB for the CoStar.