Quantcast

Co-Star locking up

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by wekebu, Nov 26, 2012.

1. wekebu

wekebu New Member

I can't watch more than 2-3 hours of TV and the Co-Star will lock up. This happens with live TV and Netflix. The screen will stay on with the image frozen. It seems to be related to my using the Co-Star and/or the remote. I say this because I ran two tests. One with Netflix and one with Live TV. I turned it all on and walked away for many hours. When I came back, it was still working for both tests. When it's frozen, I can use the remote to turn up/down the volume on the TV and the Co-Star will power off when I hit the remote's power button. I have to unplug the Co-Star and plug it back in and it works again.

It literally happens every time I use the Co-Star. I have the latest update.

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Are you connected to a cable box or satellite receiver, if so is it a wired or wiFi connection ....? What is your broadband speed ...?

I might be able to help you, take you time and answer all questions ... Even though you are having issues, their a possibility nothing is wrong with your Co-Star at all .... Before we began, unplug all HDMI cables and reverse them, make sure all HDMI cable are tight and firmly plugged into their ports .... Get back with me ....!

3. wekebu

wekebu New Member

Hi, thank you for your help.
    It's connected to Dish satellite. I used WiFi for awhile, but even with a qood-quality extender, it wasn't getting the same speeds my other wireless devices in the same location (tested with phone and tablet). It's wired now. My ISP is a WISP, top speed on wired desktop is 5.65 Mbps. Co-Star never gets more than 3.65 Mbps and most likely will get in the 1.6-2.3 range.

Will reverse the cables tonight.

4. td911

td911 New Member

I've had the Co-Star for about a week. This weekend it started to lock up, not the whole box just LIVE TV. This was the most TV watching I've done with the Co-star. Anyway, I had K-9 email installed and it seemed like every time it checked for new email, it caused a lockup. I uninstalled it and have not had a problem since. Running the Co-Star a Motorola box w/Verizon Fios. Speed is definitely not my problem.

Just an FYI

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Go to your satellite receiver and reset the display resolution just like you see it in the above photo, make sure you save the set up (parameters) just like you see in the above photo ... Next pull the plug on your Co-Star let it restart again, this should fix the screen freeze ... If this does not fix the screen freeze, then do a hard reset, after you do the hard reset, make sure you have the above set up still on your satellite receiver ...

6. wekebu

wekebu New Member

Okay, it is set as you show, thank you.

It's happening still. I've noticed that it happens more likely when I've pressed the mute and I'm going though the Live Tv's guide. I dont' have a DVR, so when a commercial comes on, I press the mute and either let it sit there or I look for something else to watch. And that's when it happens.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Are you using a router?

As a troubleshooting measure can you try connecting directly to modem and see if you still get the same problem. Try the speedtest connected directly to modem.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

We will eliminate that, try this http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...o-co-star-tools-performance-enhancements.html ....

9. wekebu

wekebu New Member

I don't think that's possible. It's in a tree. :) I live rurally, my WISP's relay is on a roof of a house on a ridge top. To get a clear shot of it, I had our antenna/modem installed 80' up in a redwood that's close to our house. The antenna/modem has a ethernet cable that runs into our house and stops at the router. It can't reach it to the bedroom, which is one floor up.

10. wekebu

wekebu New Member