Quantcast

Co-Star "just works" now, so not checking this forum as much

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Phillykef, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Until my Day 1 Co-Star was replaced a few months ago, I was always on this forum, looking for ways to fix issues, workarounds, etc. BUT, since I got a refurbished unit from Vizio AND since the last system update, the thing just works. Everything I use it for (mainly Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, and the Primetime Guide) works correctly, with no significant issues.

Consequently, I'm not logging onto this forum as much any more, but I guess that's a good thing. I'm glad the Co-Star became a trouble-free addition to my living room, even if it took a little longer than it should have.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. If you don't mind my asking - on what date did you receive your refurbished Co-Star and when did the recent update roll out? I would like to do an unscientific "study" and take the average Co-Star customer rating (from Amazon) going forward from the most recent update - and compare that customer rating to the overall customer rating of the Co-Star since inception.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Always good to see positive comments on Google TV. I own three different models, all of mine do what I need very well and I have set up eight different boxes in total, all eight just work, never owned or seen one that doesn't, regardless of model.

4. CatfishRivers

I went ahead and crunched some numbers from the Co-Star Amazon reviews. Here are my findings:

1) Average of 10 most recent Co-Star customer reviews = 3.1 (today through April 7)

2) Average of 20 most recent Co-Star reviews = 3.4 (today through March 27)

3) Average of 30 most recent Co-Star reviews = 3.63 (today through March 19)

4) Average of 40 most recent Co-Star reviews = 3.42 (today through March 13)

5) Average of 50 most recent Co-Star customer reviews = 3.18 (today through March 3)

The grand total since the Co-Star was first listed on Amazon (on October 1, 2012) - is 457 customer reviews and an average rating of 3.2

Unfortunately sales of the Co-Star have not been trending upwards over time. Upon first listing on Amazon the Co-Star was at approximately #100 on the Amazon electronics bestsellers chart. At the time of this post it's at #328 on the Amazon Electronics bestsellers chart. For the past few months the Co-Star has been oscillating between #200 and #300 on the Amazon Electronics bestsellers chart.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Co-Star-Stream-Player-Google/product-reviews/B009IBX7Z2/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
    <---(click for Amazon Co-Star customer reviews listed by descending dates)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. saeba

saeba Active Member

I guess GTV just isn't a very mainstream product. Not sure why when I consider all it does... but it does take some work to set it all up I guess.

I love it. I find myself using it nightly when my wife and I use:

(1) Chrome - Look up items on internet - IMDB - what else was this actor in? Wikipedia - What does "agita" mean? Amazon - how much is that new piece of tech? or in some cases to watch content from web sites. I love having the Logitech K700 keyboard to type in searches with the touch pad by the keyboard.
    (2) ViMu - Play content that I downloaded to my PC - PlayLater Hulu content (so I can fastforward through the commercials), downloaded British TV and Japanese Anime, etc.
    (3) Plex - Transcode content that I downloaded to my PC, but is in a format the GTV can't play (DTS audio as an example)
    (4) Crunchyroll - Watch anime content
    (5) Amazon - to watch Amazon Prime content (Justified) or purchased content (Big Bang Theory)
    (6) Sony Unlimited Video - Rent movies in high quality video/audio
    (7) M-go - Utilize their unlimited 1-month $.99 movie deal

Great stuff!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Sure. I received my refurbished Co-Star on 2/13/13. I actually immediately installed 4.6.0 on that date.

My previous Co-Star was ok at first, but then over time it just became a disaster. Towards the end I was inserting the paperclip at least once a week and having to walk through setup each time. Finally Vizio agreed that there was something wrong with my hardware, and since my refurb arrived it's been pure GTV bliss.

7. ChrisG8

I think difficulty to set up, and use, primarily the fact you can't just open up a half dozen web pages, several apps, run music in the background while you pay no attention to resources without causing it to perform poorly. With a popular box like Roku, all you can do is run a single stream, can't access anything other than one channel and it is very easy to use and difficult to crash. Poor user reviews online, people claiming it is buggy and unusable, with a long list of things they can't do with it. Those negative reviews come after maybe 30 minutes of trying to use it. I admit to babying mine to keep things running right, but with proper use, all just run and do what I ask of them day after day, week after week, month after month, and soon I will be able to say year after year.

Without better sales, the one thing I fear, having development and support come to a halt is very likely. I get tired of reading the non stop criticism widespread at various forums and review sites.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

You can't fanboy a mass-market product to mass-success. We can track the problems people are having, when they've been addressed, and we can let people know and/or suggest work-arounds, but first impressions are what they are.

Someone commented that they were aghast that their google tv asked them to tell them how big their TV screen was. Now, I understand perfectly why it was doing this ... it was letting us pick how we wanted over-scan to be handled rather than blindly chopping off a huge chunk of the picture like most devices do or just assuming it could display edge to edge. So, maybe Google needs to explain this better and lead the customer through it better? Maybe they never should have assumed they could use the whole screen? I don't know. But these little annoyances add up, and the GTV will continue to get reviewers complaining about things like that until Google really applies some serious spit & polish to the product.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If Google can't multi-task Apps cleanly, maybe they shouldn't be multi-tasking Apps? This used to be the one thing you could trust about a computer back in the day - that a task running in the system would never harm the system, and never interfere with another task. It still boggles my mind that we've moved away from the sort of fundamental security and resource management that allowed for that, especially in a box based on Unix, running on top of a virtual machine.

10. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Well, I guess I have to take back the initial reason for this post, because my refurb co-star died last week. My wife watched a movie on Netflix in the morning, and then in the afternoon the TV app kept failing. I tried and turning it off and on again and that did nothing, so I pulled the power for 15 seconds and then tried to restart it. I would get the black screen with the V, but after about 10 seconds it would disappear and then it would just be a black screen. Even the paper clip reset did not work. I called Vizio support once again, and after walking through a bunch of different tests, they decided to send me ANOTHER REPLACEMENT, this time a brand new unit. I received it yesterday and it seems to be working fine, but I have no confidence that it will last.

Like I've said before, when it works it's GREAT but it's just not reliable, and since there's no HDMI passthrough, whenever the box acts up my not-so-technically-inclined wife and 2 year old kid are stuck without TV until I can fix or disconnect the box.

Although their Customer Service has been great, I really have to question whether I would buy another Vizio product, because the Co-star obviously wasn't tested enough prior to release. Very disappointing.

11. CatfishRivers

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Co-Star. I didn't want to mention it after your initial post on this thread - but my hunch was that the problem with these units are software related. In other words given enough time (several months) your new/refurbished unit would eventually experience similar issues. Of course it's possible that it's hardware related - but IMO that's less likely. Google TV is still a work in progress......

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I tested out the Co-Star. I've always believed all the short comings on that device & many of the newer devices required a software update to fix the problems. Vizio is really using a costly approach by replacing hardware instead of looking for software solutions.

But what boggles my mind more than anything else is why would anyone allow a company 3-4 chances rather than returning the unit and investing in one of the more stable units. After I returned the Hisense Pulse I saw an article where they supposedly sent out an update to fix various problems. I haven't heard many complaints from Pulse users since.

Really Bizarre...

Carl

13. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Because it's too late to return it, and because I don't feel like spending another 100 bucks for a different unit.

14. CatfishRivers

15. Carlszone

Lol!!!

Did you take that idiots advice in the Vizio Co-Star thread. Maybe you should let them know how painful yer transition into a GTV product has been rather than get mad at me. I've enjoyed years on the Logitech Revue. And recently when it could no longer function, I had no regrets! As a matter of fact I'm looking for another Logitech Revue. I also have enjoyed the Sony GS7. I'm using it right now. It doesn't surprised me w/a wakeup call that the remote all of a sudden doesn't respond, nor does it wipe out all my apps as the Vizio Co-Star did continuously. I can't remember the last time I ever had to do a factory reset to fix anything on the GS7.

I remember all the freaking Factory resets just to get the dang Vizio Co-Star to work. So don't give me gruff when I tell ya yer chosen device is a piece of crap of the highest order as far as GTV devices are concerned. Ya don't believe me?

Ask yer friend in the Vizio forum how many devices he thinks has been returned or exhanged to date... The numbers are staggering!

Hey, if ya wasn't being sarcastic, then I'm really sorry for your experience and can only advise you to check out the GS-7 until something else comes along that is worthy of our consideration.

Carl

16. Carlszone

Btw, Vizio doesn't restrict the return of defective units as far as I've been able to glean from various users posting on this forum. Call em and tell them about the problems you are having. Then if they send you another unit that is problematic, you can call again and request a refund...

17. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

I wasn't being sarcastic in the above post. If my new one (the 2nd replacement) breaks down then yes, I'm done with it. My most recent unit has been great for a few weeks now, so I'm still still holding out hope, even though logic tells me that it will break down eventually. It runs fast and smooth, and definitely not as hot since the last update. I've also had multiple power outages because of storms over the past few weeks, which always caused my first co-star issues, but the new one has been fine. So, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Carlszone

Hi Phillykef

Here's wishing ya lots of luck!!!

Thanks...

Carl

19. ChrisG8

I seriously doubt if one Co-Star is better than another in terms of dealing with power outages and it is up to us to protect these devices from power outages, by use of surge protectors and battery backups. None of these inexpensive consumer electronics devices should be expected to endure that kind of punishment and you have been misinformed if you believe they should. All of my Google TV boxes and all ofther components in three systems are protected and we have had so many power outages over the last few years, I have lost count.

20. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

Why would you assume I don't use surge protectors? I think you misunderstood "power outages." I was talking about anytime the Co-Star would lose power, which includes me just unplugging it. My first co-star would need to be hard reset after every power outage or unplugging. It had nothing to do with a power surge. Just power outages in general. My second and third units did not have this same issue.

All of my equipment (TV's, AV, Video Games, PC's, etc.) is protected by surge protectors, and my first line of defense is a Surge Arrester hooked up directly to my electrical panel. I come from a family of Electricians, so I think we have that part covered.