Quantcast

CO-Star is GARBAGE. DO NOT PURCHASE

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tn_outside, Mar 1, 2013.

1. tn_outside

tn_outside New Member

I am not going to engage the user Wisdom who obviously thinks the Co-Star is great.
    But....to the rest of you: IT is NOT.
    I am technically sophisticated. I know what I am doing. I placed my Co-Star on a cooling fan since the first day it was turned on (12/22/12).
    I took care of it. I installed all updates. Ran cache cleaner. Everything.

Yet....for no reason at all.....on 2/28/13....it died. Black screen, white progress bar, V in the middle...and nothing.

Customer support was nice. Offered to send me a new one. But who wants replacement electronics that just go belly-up? They indicated they were doing me a special favor by sending me a shipping label to send back my unit. REALLY???? A favor????

Amazon gladly sent me a free shipping label, 1 month AFTER the return expired, and offered a replacement.

Even the Customer Service Rep with Vizio said he has two Co-Stars. One died in 2 months...the other is 6 months old and still working. Wow! 50% still work after 6-months!

Avoid this low-quality piece of garbage.

I actually like the device. A lot. But it is a piece of crap. Do not get it. If you have it.....make other plans. It is going to die.

Disclaimer: My ONLY reason for posting this message here is because when I was researching this device, before I purchased it, I found this site. This site influenced me to purchase the unit. I should not have. I invested way too much time in the set-up of this piece of garbage only to have it die 9 weeks later. Hopefully other people will see this post and avoid this device.....like the plague.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Your sample of one failing is not proof all will fail nor does the customer service rep sample of two with 50% failure rate mean much. An inexpensive computer like appliance like the Co-Star won't last forever obviously but my guess is most will last a few years. I think you were just unlucky but if you are the type prone to whining when an inexpensive product dies, I would suggest considering an extended warranty on purchases like this. I have 3 different models of Google TV, all have been fine, no hardware issues whatsoever but I understand they won't last forever and some might suffer an early breakdown. I usually don't buy extended warranties and I am way ahead after 45+ years of owing a lot of consumer electronics products by not buying warranties but I have had some failures, the cost of warranties would have been far greater than the recovery so when something fails outside of manufacturer warranty, I accept that and move on, that is going to happen.

The fact I have 100% still working isn't proof everybody will have the same results. I don't know where any of the Google TV boxes are made but I suspect the Co-Star is made in exactly the same Chinese factory as two or three or all of the other models, to basically the same quality standards. The Co-Star isn't old enough to have much of a track record but if the early failure rate is as high as you think it is, we will all know that before too many more months, maybe a year or two.

3. Obonaven

Obonaven New Member

Mine is tie wrapped to the back of a wall mounted LED TV that's mounted about 10' high on the wall since Early November. Flawlessly working.

4. tn_outside

tn_outside New Member

Incorrect! That was TWO examples. And we are talking about two of three devices.
    Read the reviews at Amazon. MANY people complain of dead devices.

Again: I really like the device. A LOT. But electronics should NOT die after 9 weeks. And this is FAR from an isolated incident. Even the rep explained that this is not a rare occurrence.

This device is poorly made, of inferior parts. The rep said they have boards die on them.

If yours works.....great. It will die eventually. Probably sooner rather than later.

Again....I don't want to argue with anyone. I simply want to WARN people. Roku does not break like this. Apple TV does not break like this. The logitech revue did not break like this. The Sony product does not break like this. This product is inferior. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Don't even take it for free....you will invest way too much time installing apps, setting up media servers, configuring everything, tweaking your home media network....only to have the unit die and waste all of your time. Not to mention that I had to do compete set-ups three times on mine before it died. Due to random lock-ups.

My PS3 does most of the things the Co-Star does...and it does them better....and it is rock solid.

What do you ultimately need a google-box for? Amazon? Netflix? Hulu? Youtube app? Browser? ALL of these things are available on the PS3. I can't use Plex on my PS3...but the PS3 DOES play files from the plex server library using the Plex DLNA server. So...using my PS3 I cannot access my Plex channels. Or Redux. These are the ONLY things I have lost.

Buy at your own risk. You have been warned.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. sraj49

sraj49 New Member

I have been having Co star since a week after it was launched. I have so far not had any issues. It took some time to get used to using the remote. But after the latest update it has been giving me a very good performance. Very renowned companies rated the best also have issues which get respolved based on user feed back. I am just sharing my expereinces.I am also a highly technical guy.

6. ChrisG8

Tn_outside, what joke, I have had one Google TV box running 24 hours a day for over a year and a half, another running 24 hours a day for about a year and another running 24 hours a day for the past several months. I will set aside your outrageous guarantee and believe what I see first hand and what I read from users reporting here.

You are unhappy and have returned the device, warned others and I would say you can move on to something else.

7. LeadingMan

LeadingMan New Member

I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad experience, and you're entitled to an opinion, but don't extend your experience to others. I've had mine for several months, had some minor issues over that time, but after the last update I think it's a very good product. I leave ours on 24x7, no issues.

8. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

I've had mine since YESTERDAY. Not ONE problem! /sarcasm based on truth :)

But seriously. How many of these things sold? I'm fairly certain they don't have a 50% failure rate.

9. ChrisG8

Ha, of course not but he isn't paying attention to user reports of no problems. If you have two and one fails, he hears you loud and clear and will include that report in is whining rant. If you have one with a failure, you are on the list but if you have one with no issues, he won't include that fact in his statistical analysis. He will ignore Wisdom as he states because Wisdom is happy with the device, I am not sure but I believe Wisdom has two or three. So in his world by using information from only those that have had at least one bad unit, the failure rate is very high. His guarantee that anybody that owns one will see it fail is pretty silly based on that type of information gathering.

Across the board with all Google TV devices, we see a lot of complaints, in my opinion mostly due to unreasonable expectations or the fact it takes some effort to learn to operate.

10. midwaybrit

midwaybrit New Member

I am more than happy with mine. I don't consider time invested in setting it up to be a waste. In fact, I find it rewarding to have the device working great, with no issues whatsoever. I have been through them all Revue, WD, Boxee Box, Popcorn Hour - you name it....for me this little wonder does more than any of them put together.
    Of course there are lemons, but you can't buy two and then proclaim a 50% failure rate. I find the original review to be unfair and unjust.

11. Phillykef

Phillykef New Member

My first one was bad, so when it got to the point where I had to do a hard reset every couple of weeks I was done. But Vizio did ship me a refurbished one for free, and it's been great since then. I think the first batch had some manufacturing issues or something, because most of the negative comments have come from early adopters. I wonder if anyone who's purchased a co-star in 2013 has had any of the quality issues that people like me had.

12. ChrisG8

I believe the OP in the this thread got one in 2013. I really don't think I could conclude from what I have been reading that Co-Stars manufactured early have had more problems. Go back to reviews at Amazon and here at launch and read although it is difficult to know much without knowing quantities sold during any given period. There were glowing reviews early and negative reviews with claims of hardware problems early, the same situation exists now and the product average rating hasn't changed much at Amazon. The recent firmware update has made using it better for most owners and the product reviews should improve as a result now, at least if the new version is as well received as I think it will be but that isn't evidence of better, more stable hardware.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Again, I'm so happy I purchased several Co-Stars at different times, all works perfect, no problems ... WHY I HAVE NEVER EVRY HAD ANY PROBLES WITH MY CO-STARS ...? Amazon as measuring cup, hell naw, 99.9% of Co-Star owners will never open the User Manual, come on now ... My worst experience with a Google TV set top box was the Sony box, it got hotter than the sun, but I never said all Sony boxes were garbage, dude please ... OP may have gotten a bad Co-Star, that happens from time to time with any product, that does not mean ALL are garbage, come on dude, the mentality level of some people, wow, yeah ...!(lol):cool:

You can attack me all you want too, I really don't care, have fun ...! If I tell you something about my Co-Stars, I'm not sensationalizing what I'm describing about my Co-Stars at all, but more so giving you a description of my experience with my Co-Stars ...

My Co-Stars works perfect as I said above, they run with clock work machine like precision , the next guy might have a horrible experience with his Co-star, ok and he can only give you what he experiences with his Co-Star, the same as OP has done ... I'm convinced a lot of very intelligent people just don't know what the hell they are doing, when they get a new CO-STAR ... I can tell that just by reading through the Co-Star forum and the Amazon reviews ....!(lol)

Now I'm waiting on the Co-Star 2 ...(lol):cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

1.5 years of uptime??! with the Revue I had to unplug replug 1-2x/month (audio would get choppy, obviously some cache was filling up). With the CoStar its 1-2x/week (black screen, etc)

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Something is wrong here ...! WHY I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD THESE KIND OF PROBLES WITH MY CO-STARS AND I PURCHASED MY CO-STARS AT DIFFERENT TIMES ...? It just don't add up, it's real strange ...!(lol)

I'm convinced a lot of very intelligent people just don't know what the hell they are doing, when they get a new CO-STAR ... I can tell that just by reading through the Co-Star forum and the Amazon reviews ....!(lol):cool:

16. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

I wish my co-star woul die, because it is slowly killing me. I really don't know why I haven't disconnected the stupid thing yet.

17. ChrisG8

Yes, over1.5 years with the Revue, plugged in always although we have been without electricity a couple of times for a few days and several other times for little outages so I would guess it has been unplugged 6 or 7 times because of that. My battery backups are used for more expensive equipment. I do reboot it once in a while when it isn't running right and use RAM booster and cache cleaner frequently and I don't even know what good unplugging and plugging back in does compared to a reboot. The Sony NSZ-GT1 is better than the Revue, a little faster, better codec support and less prone to needing to be rebooted but all 3 models I own have been great for my needs.

18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Of the 3 units I tried so far, the Logitech Revue, Hisense Pulse and NeoPrime TV the Logitech was by far the most stable. Never having to bother w/shutting down, the Revue has been running w/out fail since Jan '11. I'm still leery of the Vizio Co-Star, Wisdom's enthusiasm aside. (lol!) I've been reading too many reports of returns.

But I will see for myself...

Carl

19. ChrisG8

There are several reasons I don't want a Co-Star, the biggest and a deal killer on its own is the fact IR commands to control other devices originate from the remote, not the box. This means the remote used must be both Bluetooth and IR and I don't like the remote that comes with the Co-Star, the Google TV controller I like best is the Logitech K700 keyboard and it works great with the Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, and Sony NSZ-GS7. I want at least 2 USB ports and optical audio output so the only second generation box that makes any sense for me is the NSZ-GS7. In fact, if you like the Logitech Revue, the Sony NSZ-GS7 is the one and only successor that comes close, both in appearance and hardware design. The big difference is it uses the Marvel Armada 1500 ARM processor. I still haven't gotten the new update for the NSZ-GS7 and until I do, it might as well be a Logitech Revue, I just don't see much difference although it may be slightly faster and is probably like the NSZ-GT1 more stable, fewer reboots required, fewer hiccups observed.

20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I see certain people like to bash the Co-Star like the NSZ-GS7 has more power than the Co-Star, like you can do so much more with one device over the other, yeah right ...(l0l):cool: