Quantcast

Co-star internet speed...What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gnote, Jun 6, 2013.

1. gnote

gnote New Member

Hi, 1st time posting here. First off, let me say I really enjoy my co-star. However, with that said, I have found no answers to why the internet speed on the Co-star is so slow. I have a 16/6mbps internet connection (Comcast business class). I have a Linksys-EA4500-Dual-Band-N900-Router-with-Gigabit-USB that is more than capable. I am about 25 feet from my wireless router. When I use the wireless on the co-star, I get an average speed of 6.5mbps. When I wire it directly to ethernet cable (cat 5), it only gets speeds up to 7.5mbps. Granted, thats a little better, but considering that I have and Android tablet (wireless) in the same room that gets up to 12.5mbps, thats not too good. My computer that is wired to the router gets speeds up to 16mbps. There is obviously some sort of speed CAP on this device. I know I am not the only one who is having this issue. A simple answer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. gnote

gnote New Member

Catfish Rivers, Thank you for your quick reply . I will read through these threads and see if I can find an answer. I will report back.

4. gnote

gnote New Member

Ok. So I went home on my lunch break after reading some of the threads above and decided to try bypassing my smart(dumb) router and plug in directly to my comcast modem and.... walla.... It jumped from 7mbps to 10mbps. From now on I will just bypass it. To some on this forum who are all getting lower speeds, TRY THIS FIRST! It saved me a lot of headache. I will go from here and continue trying to tweek.

Sometimes devices just don't play nice.... THANK YOU GUYS!

5. CatfishRivers

Yep as you probably saw in those other threads the router was my primary suspicion of the cause. Thanks for your feedback....

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

I have never ever had a speed problem with my Co-Stars .... No spinning cursors either, no Netflix or YouTube hiccups, homie doesn't play that .... Some routers don't work very well with the Co-Star, I will only use gaming routers and a certain type of HDMI cables, Ethernet cables with my Co-Stars ... My Ethernet CAT #6 are dual wired at both ends, I personally made these Ethernet cables, to each his own ...

7. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

why does GTV have so many issues with routers? IE... I have a good 10 devices on my network (including 3 non-GTV Android devices).. I don't have to go reboot/bypass my router for any of them.... but I see the router issue raised repeatedly with GTV devices... That says to me the problem is not the routers....

8. CatfishRivers

I would describe it this way: It's not the router per se - but rather the way the router specifically interacts with GTV devices. -:)

9. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

"It's not YOU.. it's ME"... really :)

I can fire up Play Music on my Co-Star and Nexus 7 at the same time (both on the same network)... the CS will claim that multiple tracks are unplayable (ie. can't tell if it fails to load, checksum, or what but they "play" as dead silence)... the N7 has no issues... both on the same network.

Hopefully the switch to JB will get rid of some of these gremlins...