Quantcast

Co-Star Bricked by Latest Update - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by isuee94, Dec 2, 2013.

1. isuee94

isuee94 New Member

So, I attempted to install the latest update on my Co-Star a few weeks ago. During the update process, the Co-Star locked up (left it running for hours and hours and no progress on the installation). I had no choice but to reboot it. Ever since, it will not boot. It either comes up with the Vizio logo, then black screen or it comes up to a screen that says it can't boot-up and offers me the options to reboot or do a factory reset. If I try the factory reset option, the progress bar just does it's animation, but never moves, even after leaving it go for hours and hours.

I chatted with Vizio support today and they said "sorry, it's out of warranty". So, basically I have a $99 brick.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working again? Is there any way to connect the Co-Star to a laptop and manually reload the software?

Seriously ticked off now. I've been using this for DLNA access to my media library. I'm hoping I can get this working again since I'm not ready to spend more money.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried unplugging it? Try unplugging it for a few minutes and then try the factory reset again.

3. isuee94

isuee94 New Member

I'm fairly sure I left it unplugged for several days before trying again last night to get it working. I'll give this a shot again.

What is the proper sequence for doing a factory reset using the button on the bottom?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Use a paper clip to press and hold the button on the Bottom of the Costar-box for at least 10 seconds (a progress bar will display...).

* Disconnect any USB device before performing a Factory-Reset.

If the reset fails - I suggest trying the reset again 3 consecutive times before giving up.

5. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

if its bricked you could always buy a new one from best buy then return your bricked one and get your money back.... Not sure if that kind of advise is frowned upon here but it is possible

6. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

l have co-star bought refurbished from amazon love it have no problem work as it should. Turn it on the first time co-star asked to updated fw right away .... why you wait too long i wonder? anyway....

To return the brick one.... keep the new one and get your money back... i think it's risky you must be good actor to get thought it...

send from my b&n nook hd+

7. isuee94

isuee94 New Member

Not sure what you mean about why I waited too long?

8. lglmoris

lglmoris New Member

I found a solution to my bricked Co-star. If you disassemble the box, (at your own risk of course) there is a more functional 'reset' button on the bottom of the motherboard. Push this in for 15 sec or so. It will completely rest the co-star. You may have to do this a few times to get it to work correctly. The main issue with the co-stars is the heat they generate when on. I never turned mine off and at a certain point it must have overheated and failed. But, the reset worked. The following link will show you how to disassemble the box:
    Vizio Co-Star Teardown - iFixit If this link doesn't work, do a search for 'co-star teardown' to get to the site. It has great photos and explanations. When you disassemble the box you will see the processor and heat sink have a paste. It may be Artic Silver or some other heat paste. I thought about replacing it, but decided not to because the box is working. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Finally, be sure to turn the co-star off when not in use to avoid overheating. You may also wish to add a fan to the bottom when it's on. Kerry

9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I asked vizio about a cooling pad,she said yes I would.because they tend to run warm