Quantcast

Co-Star blowing out HDMI inputs?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by bossanova1960, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

After losing 4 HDMI inputs on two separate Vizio TV's I've come to the conclusion that it is due to the Co-Star. A few days after I received my Co-Star I get a blue screen with an error message on HDMI input 1 that says "invalid format", so I switch to HDMI 2. A few days later HDMI 2 starts displaying the same thing. I thought ok I've had the TV for almost 2 years I guess anything is possible. So, I contact Costco concierge service and they hook me up with Vizio to get a replacement.
    I received the replacement on 10/6. On 10/8 HDMI input 1 again displays "invalid format", so I switched to input 2. Now today 10/9 input 2 now displays "invalid format"
    I've switched HDMI cables, switched devices and inputs, unplugged all devices with no luck. If anyone has any thoughts I would certainly appreciate them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have seen just what you are talking about several times, nothing is wrong with the TV HDMI input either ... The cause of this problem is cheap low class HDMI cables ... You can go buy a brand new set of cheap HDMI cables and you will continue to see the "inValid Format" message .... On the other hand, purchase high quality HDMI cables and you will never see that message again ...

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Do other HDMI sources work with those same HDMI inputs? Blu-ray player, cable box or any other? If nothing else works either, It isn't impossible that the Vizio Co-Star would be sending improper voltage or power spike over HDMI damaging the input but it is very very unlikely.

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

THE SUBJECT MATTER IN THE ABOVE POST # 1 AND 2 IS VERY IMPORTANT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If your cable Box/Satellite Receiver is not set up like the above photos shows in conjunction with your Vizio Co-Star, plus with high quality HDMI cables according to high tier techs at Vizio Corp, you may experience the same thing as bossanova1960 did ...(Read Above Post # 1 And 2)

Personally, after installing the above set up, plus high quality HDMI cables, no more "invalid Format" messages ...!

5. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

I guess that could be an issue, however I not so inclined to think it is the HDMI cables due to the fact that the Co-Star did work for several days and I've never had an issue with any devices TiVo, Roku, etc. until I put the Co-Star in the mix. When I take the Co-Star out, I still get the blue screen and "invalid format". I have brought in a second TV in and it works fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If you take the Co-Star out of the mix and you are still getting the blues screen, then is your cable box/satellite receiver set up like the above parameters in the photos ....? When I made my changes with the above set up, I have never seen the "invalid Format" again ...

7. GreasenUSA

GreasenUSA New Member

I suppose it could be a bad HDMI cable, but don't let anyone tell you that a $50 Monster cable is any better than a $3.50 Monoprice cable. In fact, the cable I am using for my Co-Star is even lower-grade than my other $3.50 Monoprice cables, and I don't have any problems with it. I also have used it for nearly 6 years on other devices.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

No, that's not what I'm saying at all, you don't have to pay a million dollars for high quality HDMI cable, at least I did not $50.00 for my high quality HDMI cables ... I believe Revue5 posted the new standards for HDMI cables .... They will tell you at Vizio Corp, the quality of your HDMI cables can make a big difference ...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I just confirmed with Vizio Corp, what causes the "Invalid Format" message again and the tech gave me the very same answer, I posted above ... He said you can set your media device (cable box/satellite receiver} to 1080p also .... He said the main cause of the "invalid Format" message is poor quality HDMI cables and changing the (cable box/satellite receiver) resolution from something other than 1080i/1080p ....

10. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

My only problem with this is the fact that the Co-star worked for several days, then HDMI 1 went out, then HDMI 2. On two separate TV's. Plus the fact the I've used the TV for almost 2 years with a Tivo and a Roku with out any problems. Now when I try and plug the Tivo or Roku in I get nothing.

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Oh! So you don't have a cable box or satellite receiver ...?

12. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

I do have a TiVo

13. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

Contacted Vizio, they are replacing both the TV and the Co-Star. Will update when I get them both hooked up together again. Hopefully it was an anomaly in the Co-Star.

14. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

This is a created "Mode Not Supported" message, this message was created by me, by simply changing my cable box screen resolution to 720p (See Photo below) ... The Vizio Co-Star needs a screen resolution of 1080i or 1080p to work correctly ... The high tier tech at Vizio Corp who told how to create this message was one billion percent correct ... Nothing is wrong my Vizio Co-Star HDMI input/output ports, nor is anything wrong with my HDMI TV inputs ports ...

[​IMG]

In the above photo is how I created the "Mode Not Supported" message by changing the screen resolution to 720p, which is the wrong/incorrect screen resolution for the Vizio Co-Star to function properly ...

[​IMG]

In the above photo is the correct screen resolution 1080i or 1080p for the Vizio Co-star to function in the correct minor ....

15. bossanova1960

bossanova1960 New Member

There is no way for me to change the resolution of my TV (Vizio m260mv). Unless there is some way for the Co-Star to change the TV resolution, there must be another reason why I keep losing HDMI inputs.
    I appreciate your trying to find a solution.

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I feel you guy, their must be a reason ....!

• Like Like x 2
  17. fireraider

fireraider New Member

I think there is something to this odd behavior. If I have my Dish 722k plugged in to my Vizio TV HDMI input #1 and plug the Costar in to the HDMI input #2 and use it for a while (not sure how long) when I switch back to the HDMI #1 I get a blank blue screen.
    The first time it happened I thought the 722k video had been fried or something. I swapped the 722 out with one from another room and during the cable swapping I unhooked the CoStar and put it in a drawer. The second 722 worked fine with the Vizio TV for several weeks until I hooked up the CoStar again and then my HDMI #1 input went blank again by the end of the day. This time I unplugged the CoStar first and HDMI #1 started working again.
    It seems way to much of a coincidence, especially after reading this thread.
    I hadnt run the Dish 722k through the CoStar, just ran them through the two different HDMI inputs on the TV.
    I may play with it and troubleshoot more later. Just thought i would add this info in case someone else has the same odd behavior.

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If I had your set up, I would run everything integrated as one with my Dish receiver display screen set at 1080i or 1080p ....