Quantcast

Co-star and MythTV

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by lifecomm, Mar 5, 2013.

1. lifecomm

lifecomm New Member

I wanted to start a thread dealing with MythTV and the Co-star. Especially MythTV OTA, which is simply awesome and as a cord-cutting cheapskate it is essential to fully enjoy OTA content.

In my excitement over the Co-star, however, I failed to notice that it doesn't include the AC-3 audio codec which OTA employs. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is there a great transcoding job that can provide relief?

Also, what other ways are people using MythTV and the Co-star? I have considered getting a Zotac to host a real copy of MythTV's frontend, a BlueRay and the ability to stream live TV from my HD HomeRun - I don't have the new HD HomeRun Prime.

2. randykc

randykc New Member

I don't have MythTV in the mix, but I do have my HD Homerun running on a Windows 7 machine using Windows Media Center. The way I integrate OTA recordings for Co-Star viewing is record the OTA program, strip the commercials using VideoReDo and save the file into a directory that is monitored by Plex. I used to use Lifextender to strip the commercials but like the video quality and the commercial detection in VideoReDo better. I then have the option unchecked to 'Enable AC3' on the Plex client running on my Co-Star. With that unchecked, the Co-Star plays my OTA recordings great.

3. lifecomm

lifecomm New Member

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your thoughts. MythTV is able to do automatic transcoding and can strip commercials, etc. But at this point, I think I'll consider a real computer (as I have no current input to my Co-Star) to host a real copy of MythTV Frontend and I should be ready to rock and roll - even live TV!

Do you have an HD Homerun Prime? I will upgrade to one of these one of these days - once they get past the beta stage and offer DLNA streaming right-out-of-the-box.

4. randykc

randykc New Member

I do not have the prime, just the dual.