Quantcast

Co-Star and DVR Questions

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by ericfaris, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ericfaris

ericfaris New Member

I am using my Co-Star with a Motorola DCH-6416 (Insight Communications is the cable provider). I finally got the Co-Star to recognize the box and I am now getting content populated into the TV & Movies app.

I am not seeing any content that is recorded on my DVR. Is the Co-Star capable of recognizing shows that are recorded on my DVR? Am I missing something to setup? Has anyone else been able to recognize dvr recorded content?

2. yorT

yorT New Member

From my experience you cannont. You have to use the cable box interface to view what's on your DVR.

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

This would be a great App if someone could pull it off somehow? But I suspect it would have to be a cable provider who decided to bake GTV into a cable box that could really do this. I would switch to such a cable provider in a heart beat because it would be too cool to pass on. Now if TV makers can be convinced to bake in GTV perhaps cable companies can too if a case can be made that it will convince cable tv subscribers to switch over to their service from a competitor.

GTV App idea:
    Perhaps someone could set up a networked hard drive to record from a DVR to work with a GTv App what could remotely allow pulling up listings of DVR recorded content from a GTV App. Now it would be tricky to set up an App that would also initiate playback of the files on your DVR and switch to the TV App for viewing at the same time but who knows there might be someone out there who is able to pull this off?

Google who owns Motorolla could bake GTV into DVR's and offer cable companies the ability to rent or sell the boxes at a premium. I would be one of the first customers to sign up for such a box.

Google may be working on it's own cable service than would do the job as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

I have a Directv HR24-500 DVR and the CoStar sees the recorded videos.

5. RandomBlue

RandomBlue New Member

That's because DirecTV DVRs (or at least that one) has specific Google TV integration to allow that. No other service provider does currently.

6. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

working perfect with my U-verse DVR as well. ;)

7. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

Aren't I the lucky one? ;D

8. w.mike

w.mike New Member

I see you were able to get your DirecTV HR24-500 DVR to recognize your CoStar. I have not been able to do so myself, even after wiring up everything as advised in the user guide. Any advice or tips on how you were able to get yours setup?

9. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

Have you tried going into the Co - Star settings/devices and reinstalling the DirecTV?

10. w.mike

w.mike New Member

only a dozen or so times... I even got on the phone with Vizio tech support (good experience by the way) and they tried using several codesets to manually configure the device. I've tried setting up the device as a satellite box and as a DVR, both times selecting the make and model from the available list. Hitting the channel button on the remote did not change the channel.

11. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

This is a shot in the dark but try putting a new high speed HDMI cable from the DirecTV to the Co - Star. If you can wait few days you can order it from Monoprice and save a bunch of money or go to Walmart. Just make sure you get the High Speed cable. Since replacing all of my HDMI cables I have seen better colors and a sharpness that wasn't there before. The reason I suggest this is there might be a handshake issue happening.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. w.mike

w.mike New Member

I just chatted with Vizio support. They suggested I try the following:
    1. Go to Settings on the Co-Star then to Devices>Bluetooth>Remote then delete it. Then simultaneously press the Q key, =, and Space for 5 seconds to put it into IR mode. Then re-pair the remote to the Co-Star.
    2. Try connecting to your DVR again.
    3. Next would be to hold in the reset button on the bottom of the unit for 7 seconds if the remote reset didn't help
    I'll give this a try and update this thread with any results.

13. w.mike

w.mike New Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by lartomar2002.

This is a shot in the dark but try putting a new high speed HDMI cable from the DirecTV to the Co - Star. If you can wait few days you can order it from Monoprice and save a bunch of money or go to Walmart. Just make sure you get the High Speed cable. Since replacing all of my HDMI cables I have seen better colors and a sharpness that wasn't there before. The reason I suggest this is there might be a handshake issue happening.

Great suggestion, although I already have high-speed HDMI cables. Thanks for all the replies. I just got done chatting with vizio support and they made some suggestions that i'll try this afternoon.

14. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

That's pretty weird, considering HDMI is a digital link that rejects noise by design: Why all HDMI cables are the same | Crave - CNET Did your picture look better when you switched it to a lower resolution?

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia the "high-speed" HDMI cables are tested to work properly with 1080P video. "Standard" HDMI cables are recommended for 720P or 1080i videos.

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the article:

"HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).

Category 1 HDMI cables are marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed". This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008."

Also this is mentioned in the article:

"Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work."

16. jonw747

Highspeed HDMI is a new classification. Older cables may have easily met the specs, or they may not have. Also short cables are less likely to have problems in the first place. The point, though, is that if an HDMI cable is used outside of spec the most common result is failure to produce video. If it's right on hairy edge, the article says you may see sparklies on the screen caused by corrupted pixel values. Dimmer colors and a softer picture are the sort of issues typically seen with an analog cable with too much loss or something like a component video switch that can't handle the bandwidth. It'd be very odd to see that due to an HDMI cable.

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

The latest is HDMI 1.4 specification.

With that in mined, if c-net decided today to write a new HDMI article to cover all the angels, a 20 pages article may not even be enough.:p

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  18. w.mike

w.mike New Member

Earlier tonight vizio confirmed my Directv HR24 is NOT compatible with the costar. They were kind enough to offer me a full refund, which includes what I paid for shipping. No restocking fee either. So, I'm sad to learn the costar won't work for me. It looked like it had so much potential.

19. koftheworld

koftheworld New Member

There's just no remote code for it? I know for my scientific Atlantic 4250hd none of their codes worked.I ended up trying a similar listed box (4200hd) and now the remote is working perfectly. Did you try other boxes that are similar?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

20. jonw747

That's nice of them to offer a refund, but competing devices at the same price point don't even try to control a TV/AMP/DVR or support pass through. The costar can still do a lot of things even if you can't get it to control your DVR.