Quantcast

Closed captioning does not work

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Khilmoe, May 28, 2012.

1. Khilmoe

Khilmoe New Member

First google tv, Sony NSG-MR1, I have tried and tried to turn on cc so I can read the tv while our first tv has the sound on. I have tried the purple FN and CC button, it says its on, its not. I have gotten into settings, and customized the closed caption so its opaque, its on, what size font i want, everywhere I can think to go, I've gone, and it should be on. I'm watching That 70's show right now, that should surely show some cc'ing. Nothing. Not on the commercials, on the shows... I'm missing something and one of you know what it is.... please share....

2. Khilmoe

Khilmoe New Member

Surely SOMEONE out there can help with this? Lots of techies and moderators reading??Help??

3. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Khilmoe,

How is your TV connected?

If you are getting "broadcast TV" (antenna) ,the closed captioning originates from the tv.

If you have satellite or cable tv,closed captioning originates from the satellite/cable box. If that's the case,refer to their menu.

I'm a Dish Network subscriber. There are menu selections with Dish that allow me to turn on the cc's and customize the colors,backgrounds,and fonts. I happen to like white background with blue lettering,black background with yellow lettering,and black background with cyan (light green) lettering.

Am owner of 24" GTV and hard-of-hearing. I also subscribe to the internet's AllDeaf forum,which deals with various issues involving the deaf and HOH community.

Bob in VA

4. dogslogic

dogslogic New Member

Update -- It's now September of 2014 and I'm suddenly having this problem.

I have the same problem as Khilmoe and I'm not sure Bob's solution works for me, because I don't have a satellite box that allows for subtitles.

I'm on DirecTV, but, I'm cheap, so I have an old school satellite box/service -- no digital / DVR.

For two years, I've turned the closed captions on/off at will from my Sony Google TV's remote, just as the original poster did. Then, two weeks ago, poof. They're not there, despite the TV's settings.

Does anyone know why my TV is suddenly unable to show CC? Not worried about the satellite box... just the TV. Should I try a factory reset?

5. Khilmoe

Khilmoe New Member

I have dish network, cheap package. I was on directv at time of this question but have since moved. Interestingly I had cc for a time after I moved, but no more. I have seen the options that u speak of with the fonts, colors etc, but I just don't get them. Any more advice?