Quantcast

Chromecast has sharper picture than Vizio Co-Star, why?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by wekebu, Aug 15, 2013.

1. wekebu

wekebu New Member

I have been using a Vizio Co-Star for a year now. I also have been using the new Chromecast since it came out. I have to say, the Chromecast has a crisper, sharper picture than the CS while watching Netflix. Same TV; same WiFi. The Chromecast even beats the CS when the CS was wired to the router. I'm amazed at this little device.

To be fair, the Co-Star does more. It has a browser, which we use for NHL GameCenter Live, local TV, etc. But now I can give the Co-Star to my husband and he can watch hockey on his TV.

Is there a setting in the CS that I have incorrect?

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Because the Costar is, and always has been, junk.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The Netflix implementation may vary in how fast it transitions to the highest quality mode, and support for the new Netflix HD may be a factor as well; but I suppose the most fundamental question would be what resolution are the two devices using? Are they both outputting 1080p60 for instance? Can you tell that with your TV?

4. gofopo

gofopo New Member

Can you provide more details about the difference in picture quality? Do you mean sharper as in less compression? Does the Co-Star show more blobs of color/compression artifacts? Or is it more an issue of jagged edges? I just bought a Co-Star last night and am actively comparing it to my Chromecast in an attempt to decide which to keep. The first thing I tried last night was Plex and it looked poor with jagged edges at first. However that was just because the quality was set to low, I set it to Maximum and it looks pretty good. Still maybe not as good as DLNA directly on my TV, but definitely good. Of course I can't compare this to the Chromecast because Plex does not support it yet, and tab casting is not a fair comparison. I am going to try Netflix tonight and will let you know if I observe the same thing as you. The reason I bought the Co-Star in the first place was I wanted to see if its hardware + wired ethernet would produce better Netflix quality than the Chromecast.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not a Netflix subscriber but I also have a Co-Star and Chromecast connected to the same display on the same network. I don't see any picture quality differences with the brief tests I have done. Both use a Marvell Armada processor, the Co-Star uses a more expensive, probably better processor but I would not expect any differences in Netflix picture quality. Picture quality differences when using a different HDMI input are certainly possible, display calibration settings can be different by input or the devices can be set up differently that would cause picture quality differences. It is certainly possible the Co-Star can be inferior in terms of picture quality but I haven't seen anything that would make me conclude that is the case.

As far as a comparison between Google TV and Chromecast, no comparison for my needs, Google TV is used daily and the Chromecast not at all other than to test and it would only make sense if I liked to find programming to watch using a smart phone or tablet then watch that programming on an HDTV. I don't do that, the only apps for Chromecast so far, Netflix, YouTube and Google Play Movies and Music work well but I have found nothing else and I don't care to find programming using my tablet, I have Google TV set up to handle YouTube the way I want YouTube to work and I rarely use Google Play Movies and Music, but I do some and Google TV handles that fine as well.

I can sure see for those that like to find what they want to watch on a smart phone or tablet that the Chromecast may evolve into a very useful device. I prefer to access apps, start programs and do searches using a full size keyboard on Google TV personally.