Quantcast

Chromecast from USA in the UK?

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by bobby.hawk, Dec 9, 2013.

1. bobby.hawk

bobby.hawk New Member

Does anyone know if I take my Chromecast to the UK if it will work?

Bob

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. guest

guest Active Member

In the following comments, it's mentioned that Chromecast is U.S.-only. If this is true, you might try Miracast, AllCast or the Raspberry Pi.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/ch57ZKvqpYb

Stefan TischlerDec 6, 2013

Perfect spot to replace it with AllCast. Who cares about Chromecast anyway? US only and closed API. Any SmartTV can handle DLNA. Thanks for the idea Google, but you blew it.

Kyle TuckDec 6, 2013+1

I think you should take another look at Miracast. I know that you were frustrated with it, and so was I. It rarely worked at all, and when it did the video was full of artifacts and audio that stuttered every few seconds. Recent firmware updates to both the ScreenBeam and PTV3000 have made it more than just usable on my Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), and even Tegra Note 7. I don't even care about the Chromecast any more.

Martin UntchDec 6, 2013

+Stefan Tischler I care. It is $35, and a perfect gift for family members. I can turn my old TV into a smart TV, and make my smart TV much better.

Stefan TischlerDec 6, 2013

+Martin Untch a Raspberry Pi costs about the same and can do much more. I didn't try yet, but I'm pretty sure you can stream to it using AllCast. Also, it can run a complete XBMC setup.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chromecast hasn't "officially" launched in the UK - but the Chromecast app is now available from the UK Google Play Store - and Amazon is selling the Chromecast in the UK. Here is the link to the UK Chromecast reviews on Amazon - and you can see that it works in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00DR0PDNE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I expect that when it "officially" launches in the UK some more apps will be announced for UK users.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013