Quantcast

Chromecast connected to a Windows PC?

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by jgariano, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jgariano

jgariano New Member

I just bought a set of wireless speakers that receive audio transmitted from a Windows computer (using a USB transmitter that works with Windows). (Under Construction for those of you interested in the speakers)

What I'd like to do is connect a chromecast to the Windows computer and have it act like a chromecast receiving TV, and then in turn the audio from the computer will be broadcast to the wireless speakers. This would enable me to pump Google Play music to the speakers using Chromecast broadcasting from my Android phone/tablet.

So my question is: can a Windows computer be configured to act as a Chromecast receiver (like a TV)?

Note that the computer has an HDMI port, though it may only be used for HDMI to the monitor. I'd be willing to buy some type of HDMI adapter, or even an additional cheap Windows computer, to get this to work.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have one but if you own a PC with HDMI input and HDMI audio processing, it would work but if you don't already own such a PC, I don't think it would be a good purchase to be used for this purpose. If you do already own such a PC, try it with any HDMI output device, Blu-ray player, DVR, etc. and if you can that to handle HDMI video/audio input in the manner you want, there should be no problem with also using the Chromecast HDMI video/audio.

If you just have the typical PC with HDMI output, I don't know of any way to adapt that to do what you want.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I haven't try it. but you'll need something like HDMI 1.4 PCIe HD video capture card *HDCP* complaint.
    audio usually in (LPCM) stereo (but check for lossy "DD+" audio codec support if 5.1audio from netflix is important to ya).

4. jgariano

jgariano New Member

So I found the solution to this, and its an ultimate setup if you are a big Google Play music user like myself.

Here's what you need:

- 1 or more Korus wireless speakers (www.korussound.com). They are not cheap, but the wireless technology they use sounds as good as wired speakers.
    - The Korus USB transmitter dongle for a windows computer.
    - A windows 7/8 computer running windows media player (WMP) 12. The computer must have media sharing enabled, and WMP must be set to allow remote devices stream to it. Preferably this is an old windows box that can be dedicated to the purpose of serving the Korus speakers.
    - The following android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.upnpcast
    - A google TV device that you can always keep on.

So here's what you do...

Install the app on the google TV device. Starting the app will kick off a service that you want to leave running all the time. This service finds any upnp / dnla renderers and makes them appear as chromecast devices.

Start WMP 12 on the windows box and leave it open. If WMP is set for remote control/sharing, it will act as a upnp renderer, and thus the service on the Google TV device will find it and present it as a chromecast device.

Next, use the USB dongle to broadcast all of the computer audio to the Korus speakers. Adjust the windows system volume and Korus speaker volumes to a level on the high end that supports the loudest you'd want to hear music. Leave the speakers on all the time.

Start Google Play music on your phone or tablet, tap the cast button and select the WMP item from the Windows computer. Use the phone volume to control chromecast volume, which will actually control the WMP app volume (the overall windows computer volume will stay put at the level you set it at).

Assuming you're a Google Music fan, you will realize this is utterly awesome.

5. andyzhengster

andyzhengster New Member

Do you mean as below

Chromecast -> hdmi grabber card -> PC ( winows / MAC)

The hdmi output of chromecast have HDCP protection.

My Test grabber card is as below

1. USB2.0 FEBON168 UVC HDMI GRABBER CARD : NEED extra " HDCP disable box"

2 USB3.0 FEBON198 UVC HDMI grabber card: it can directly connect hdmi that have HDCP protection.

[​IMG]

I can use "Chromecast+ FEBON UVC hdmi grabber card" become the live video source for Google hangouts / skype.

USB3.0 FEBON198 UVC HDMI grabber card can direclty connect the chromcast

[​IMG]

By wireless chromecast mirror, Android can mirror to MAC air and as the Google hangouts video source

[​IMG]

HDMI output of chromecast have "HDCP".

if you want to use USB2.0 FEBON168 USB UVC hdmi grabber card to let the video into your pc,

you may add the "HDCP disable" box.

After you add the " HDCP disable" box, the hdmi will be without HDCP.

USB2.0 FEBON168 UVC HDMI grabber card need add the " HDCP disable box"

[​IMG]