Quantcast

Chromecast-Cast Entire Screen- 1-2 second lag delay

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by Mickking06, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Mickking06

Mickking06 New Member

I just got me the Chromecast stick last night and its epic! My only problem is that when i cast my browser tab only or entire screen, i get about a 1-2 second delay between movements from my laptop screen to the TV. I have tried casting at 480 and it still lags. I have a good connection (5bars) and 20+mb d/l speeds. Upload is about 2-3mb sometimes hits 4mb on good days. The laptop has an i7 in it so it has the required specs to cast good quality. I'm using the D-link gaming router(few years old). Anyone have thoughts or ideas of how to remove this delay? I thought about port forwarding or going wired connection if i had to but rather not go that route.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't consider the Windows PC Chrome browser tab casting good enough to even use. I have a modest 3 year old i7-740QM laptop, tried it a couple of times and haven't bothered since. It is clear, the better the processor, the better the results will be but I think Google is going to have to improve this application considerably before it will be a feature of importance. The dedicated apps are excellent, Netflix, HBOGo, YouTube, etc. but so far that is all that is good about Chromecast, the rest is a dream of future upside.

There may be somebody that can offer some tweaks to make it work better for you but unless I miss my guess, nobody will have a solution where browser tab casting will be something you have much use for at this point. I do think it is being worked on so an update could be coming soon. Also some sites may work much better than others.

3. Mickking06

Mickking06 New Member

I plan on hooking up my more powerful gaming desktop to it tonight and see if that helps at all. I'm also going to try and play around with wired vs wireless to see if i can get performance improvements. I agree that the browser casting is still in testing but hopefully future updates will allow it be smooth and no lag.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Let us know how it works and the specs of the PC you test it on.

5. Mickking06

Mickking06 New Member

I was able to get some perfomance increases by using my desktop(wired) vs my laptop(Wireless). There is still a delay but its about half second to just at 1 second which is a pretty big improvement. I'm hoping that with future updates to chrome or the chromecast streaming code will improve it more. I think if you have everything wired, high bandwidth, and powerful PC. You may get little or no delay. If anyone else has found a way to reduce the streaming lag, please post! I get no lag when streaming from an app(netflix) and get 1080p quality. My PC used has the gen4 i7 4.0 ghz, 16gb ram, and GTX 560 TI OC. WAY more then needed to stream but can never have to much power :D