Quantcast

"Chrome Web Page(s) Unresponsive" - SICK OF IT!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by alan93, Aug 8, 2014.

1. alan93

alan93 Member

I have been a googletv victim for about 4 years now and it seems that now, 80% of the web pages lock up this tv. Not just the browser, THE ENTIRE TV! No amount of cache and cookies deleting has any effect on this.

Is there a way to fix this or get a new browser? It gets worse and worse with every update.

Also, while typing this post I got the "aw snap reload" blue screen of annoyance page.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I also use a 4-year old Sony Google TV model, the NSZ-GT1. I do avoid those issues, two apps I use, Wi-Fi adblocker and a RAM booster. I do not go to those horrid piracy sites I consider those a crapfest of pop up ads and can't negotiate around all of those ads.

The problem with the GTV browser in my opinion is only 1GB RAM so RAM has to be uncluttered for the browser to work. Assuming you use Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi adblocker helps, it is the only side loaded app I use. Memory booster is an app in the Play Store that just closes unused apps that clutter RAM. It would be easier if GTV had 2GB RAM but no models do for whatever reason, maybe the chips used don't support it or it was cost savings concession. If you don't use Wi-Fi, instead use Ethernet, I don't know an effective app to prevent pop ups but there may be one.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have found that rebooting frees up some RAM and then web surfing works better (for awhile until RAM becomes cluttered again). Also taking this a step further - every once in a while it's probably a good idea to do a factory reset.

I use a web browser 'workaround' for GTV - I go to the mobilized version of Google.com and do my searches from there. (See link below.) The web pages are stripped of ads, Flash, popups and all the other 'junk' that gives the GTV browser fits. (To use it type your web search into the top box and then click "ok" key on your keyboard. The bottom box that says "Google Search" is just for a regular Google search - it's not for a mobilized search so don't use the bottom box).

Google <---(mobilized version of Google.com)

And here is the link to the Google mobilzer tool home page - where you can enter the URL of any web site to go to the mobilized version with the GTV Chrome browser:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n <---(Google Mobilizer tool)

I have found the best way to make this approach rather systematic - is to bookmark those 2 links into my GTV bookmarks. Also if you have web pages that you visit regularly - you can bookmark the mobilized versions of those web pages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Here is another mobilizer tool that works in a similar fashion to the Google mobilizer tool. There is just a difference in the look and layout of the mobilized web pages:

Mowser - Mobilizing the web

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. alan93

alan93 Member

not using wifi, using ethernet.
    Will try Ram booster maybe.

Rebooting? Dude, I'm talking a lock up on a news website as soon as the tv is turned on!

Mobilizing sounds like surfing with a lead surf board.

5. Travel

Travel Active Member

I think the main problem with all these issues (the above mentioned and "force close," etc.) is the Chrome browser version #11 that the GoogleTV boxes are stuck with.

The latest Chrome browser API that's in beta is #37. So, the boxes being 26 versions-outdated is going to have a significant effect.

The Jelly Bean updates on the LG/Hisense HDTVs aparently provide #29 Chrome browser version HTML5 (eliminating Flash, altogether).

Which brings up another important aspect. The GoogleTV boxes are stuck on Flash 10, when there are later versions of Flash that all the various internet websites are increasingly using.

With an outdated Flash version on the GoogleTV boxes, we're pretty much screwed, now, and that much more so into the future.

We went though this with the MSNTV-2 when it became Flash-obsolete. It was exactly the same as the problem now with the GoogleTV boxes: I ended up having to use the non Flash versions of websites obtained from "web on your cell.com" to be able to use the MSNTV-2 browser.

Bottom line: need upgraded hardware with upgraded software (Jelly Bean at least).

However, the GoogleTV boxes are still excellent streaming devices, and the apps that work on the boxes (Sony GS7 at least) work well.

I'll be getting the Pulse Pro when and if (big "if") it come out. Enhanced streaming capability and an upgraded browser and HTML5 (no Flash at all) would suit me fine for a couple of more years until something better appears. I also like the Google account integration with apps, bookmarks, and the k700 keyboard, dedicated features, etc.

Personally I don't want to fool around with Chromeboxes , etc., with no "HDMI In," poor audio support, and no Play store access, print drivers, and other new problems (they say that they're working on Play Store apps access for the Chromeboxes; don't hold your breath waiting for that to come true).

6. CatfishRivers

Not trying to convince you on the merits of Chromebooks/boxes - but just to play devil's advocate I will list several features that Chromebooks have that GTV doesn't have:

1) Chromebooks have 5 years of guaranteed support from Google. IMO buying the new Android TV will carry some risk - what if the fickle Google bails on Android TV in a year or two like they did with GTV? They bailed on the Nexus Q also.

Google Chromebooks now get 5 years of support - Liliputing

2) The Chrome Web Store. I have seen many GTV users complain that GTV doesn't support Chrome extensions. There are tons of chrome extensions available for Chromebooks - every kind of app/streaming service that's in the Google Play Store can be found in the Chrome Web Store as a Chrome Extension. They all work good with Chromebooks. In the Google Play Store many of the apps don't work with GTV and a lot of them require the hassle of sideloading.

Chrome Web Store

3) Chromebooks have the latest up-to-date desktop Chrome browser and Flash support. Even the Jellybean GTV devices only have Chrome 29 with no Flash support. Taking this a step further it doesn't even look like Google will officially support a browser on Android TV.

*I know printing is possible on GTV with the PrinterShare app - however printing is also available on Chromebooks through Google Cloud Print:

Connect your printer to Google Cloud Print - Chrome Help

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  7. alan93

alan93 Member

Ram boost 2013-14 in market place says it will not install on this platform.

Thanks for the dissertations but what am getting from this is , the solution is, there is no solution unless you get something different?

8. CatfishRivers

Here's the link to the Smart Ram Booster app that's compatible with GTV:

Smart Booster - Free Cleaner - Android Apps on Google Play

I stopped using it because after a while the apps on my Revue started "force closing". That might be because my Revue has issues - so let us know how the Smart Ram Booster works for you.

The mobilizer tool (that I mentioned in my previous post) might not be an ideal solution in the traditional sense - but I consider it to be a 'workaround' because it re-configures web pages. It's especially good for reading online newspapers and things like that. Pages load extremely fast, no freezing or crashes, no ads, no annoying pop-ups. I have given up on trying to make the 'normal' web pages work good on my Revue. Maybe the mobilizer doesn't appeal to some - but without it I would of probably dumped my Logitech Revue for another device by now.

If you have a specific web page that gives your GTV fits - just enter the URL into the mobilizer and at least you will be able to read the content that you want.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Uh, no, that isn't what I said at all. I use the browser day after day, month after month, year after year without the issues you have complained about. The RAM booster I use is:

Smart Memory Booster - Android Apps on Google Play

As I indicated I believe a pop up blocker is important as well and I don't know of one that works with a wired connection. I haven't looked for one since I use Wi-Fi so I don't know if there is one. I would be surprised if there isn't one that works with a wired connection but I will leave that up to you to determine.

The RAM booster CatfishRivers linked may no longer work with Google TV, I don't know for sure, I switched to the one I use some time ago.

As far as other devices or other versions of Chrome, that isn't a solution if you use Google TV.

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Chromebook would be my first choice if there's 's no alternative, but the functionality of the GS7 with the needed updates is perfect for my use. The browser capability of any of the new boxes that come out will pretty much make that decision for me. If a manufacturer produces, say, a powerful specs, AndroidTV game box with an HDTV optimal Chrome browser app available, I'd go for that.

A $129 +- Pulse Pro I'd get immediately.

One big advantage of buying a Chromebook is that you'd then have a decent laptop in addition to an HDTV internet access device.

The Bottom line is that the GoogleTV concept is the best for HDTV use, provided that it's properly updated, but unfortunately the AndroidTV generation version seems to be trying to eliminate those best, unique features of GoogleTV.

11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

5 years is a long time. I doubt they're guaranteeing that you'll be able to do anything a new Chromebook can do for 5 years, rather it sounds like they won't cut you off from bug fixes. Given the constant influx of new Chromebooks, they'd have to freeze innovation at where things are right now.

And what's going to stop Google from moving on to some new super-neat idea of theirs and drop the entire concept of Chromebooks? You can have all the latest updates in that case, but there wouldn't be any.

Anyway, when there's a Chome OS device or HTPC with a terrific "lean back" interface integrated right in without any of the stupid limitations on TV connected devices, please let me know.

Otherwise, personally, I'll be keeping my eye on devices that are designed as streaming boxes and are either designed to be open (Android TV devices) or can be cracked open (Fire TV).

12. alan93

alan93 Member

Thanks! At least the GTV users are cool!

13. alan93

alan93 Member

I'll probably try it since you are so adamant about it, thanks.