Quantcast

Chrome update ?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by bobz, Apr 30, 2014.

1. bobz

bobz Member

Chrome browser keeps on reminding me to upgrade to a new chrome version but when I click that it says not compatible with your device.? So google tv has lost its own chrome support?? If yes what a shame and pity...we are almost dead than.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

LGTV did drop support for GoogleTV in favor of developing their own system. Yes, you have GoogleTV on your current LGTV, but LG may not be accepting any more software updates from Google, including the Chrome API level updates.

HDTV Manufacturers seem to regard the "smart" features of their TVs like car manufacturers regard "options" in a car, where they'll add and drop features at the drop of a hat, depending on sales.

4. CatfishRivers

The people with the Hisense 40" Jellybean TV are reporting the same issue with the Chrome browser. IMO that means it's most likely a Google issue. Hisense hasn't dropped GTV - and it's unlikely that both Hisense and LG have received a Chrome update but not passed it along to consumers.

• Like Like x 4
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Try closing all your browser tabs before you close chrome as after I did that I was no longer being told Chrome needed updated and this was using my Hisense Vision.

Before I did that , it would load the tab that came set with my tv by default each time I used chrome and after I closed all my open tabs and then exited chrome , the update nag is gone and it loads my most visited pages when I load chrome now when I load up chrome and I only get the nag if I load the tab that if came with back up and don't close it before I exit out of chrome.

It sounds simple but most people never close their tabs when exiting chrome and hence the reason I found that was causing the nag message and how I got rid of it.

Hope it helps you out as I don't know if it works on all setups but if it does, then please say it helped so others will know in the future and it can be added to the list of helpful tips if it does.

6. CatfishRivers

What version of Chrome do you have on your Hisense Vision jellybean television Trallyus? The jellybean update came with Chrome 29 on the LG televisions. And I believe Chrome has not been updated on the GTV Jellybean televisions yet. You can find your version of Chrome in your user agent string here:

Whats My User Agent?

*The following is the user agent for my Logitech Revue showing that I have Chrome 11:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Hisense 40" is new, maybe it'll receive an update that includes the latest Chrome API level. That's assuming the "update error message" the Hisense and LG users are experiencing is actully caused by the lack of a Chrome API update; they already have an API level of 28, and it doesn't seem likely that they'd get an error message to update if they're only four API levels from the latest Chrome 32 API level. After all, users of the GS7 with an API level of only 11 don't get this error message. Maybe the error message only occurs on Jelly Bean run devices, but unless they all get that error message, it seems more like a bug than anything else.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  8. ericd

ericd Active Member

Has anyone tried side-loading the current version of Chrome on either the LG or Hisense?

9. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

When you open Chrome on the Hisense it tells you that an update is available. When you click on that it takes you to the Play store where you are told that the version is incompatible. If I choose another market it will install but it will not run. It did make the "update available" nag screen go away though. You end up with two versions of Chrome installed.

I think it is wise for Hisense, LG, and Google to all get to the current level since that was one of Google's main "upgrade to JB" selling points after I/O last year. It has been a few months since I tried this so I guess it is possible that an even later version might magically start working.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  10. bobz

bobz Member

Thats what I'm talking about.Maybe thats the only option left.

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

My user agent says
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2;Vision TV Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.80 Safari/537.36

Sorry it took so long to reply but I had to click your link and then copy your user agent as a template and fill in the stuff that did not match to make sure the entire string was correctly typed and there is a delay of me finding time to check in here with all the places I post to and not to mention I am trying to catch up on a ton of backlogged shows :)

I hope that is the info you needed.

• Like Like x 4
  12. CatfishRivers

Thanks Trallyus. So the LG & Hisense Jellybean televisions are currently on Chrome 29.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ericd

ericd Active Member

Chrome/29.0.1547.62 on the LG

• Like Like x 6
  14. Travel

Travel Active Member

Sounds like Google made it available, but there's a bug on proper installation. That could be the device manufacturer's fault.

• Like Like x 4
  15. ericd

ericd Active Member

I tried to sideload the current version of Chrome... crashes immediately, so that's a no-go

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  16. bobz

bobz Member

Thanx for the update Eric. So I won't waste time doing the same.

• Like Like x 2
  17. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Just a quick note to you ericd and catfishrivers that Matt Lane and others said the Chrome Beta version in the play store worked for him on his Hisense Vision if your still wanting the latest and greatest version of the browser - he and others sideloaded it and this is the store version he used
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta&hl=en

• Like Like x 4
  18. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the information Trallyus. Just so people don't get confused - the Chrome beta only works if sideloaded on GTV Jellybean devices - it won't work with GTV devices on the Honeycomb update.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks Thomas!!!!!

Have you (or Matt) noticed any differences between this and the current GTV Chrome? I can't even remember the last time I bothered with the browser

20. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I think Matt mentioned tabbed browsing is better - tabs are hidden.

I have not used it much but it does the job.

• Like Like x 2