Quantcast

Chrome To Gradually Drop Support For NPAPI Plug-Ins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 23, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chrome to Gradually Drop Support for NPAPI Plug-ins (click for full blog)

September 23, 2013

Chrome to Gradually Drop Support for NPAPI Plug-ins

10 years ago, browsers were a lot less powerful and you had to install plug-ins to watch videos, play games, open PDF files. Applications like QuickTime, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, Adobe Reader, Java installed plug-ins that added missing features. Now browsers can play audio files and video files without plug-ins, some of them include PDF viewers, many of them render interactive 3D graphics natively. NPAPI plug-ins are no longer that necessary, they have plenty of security issues and the NPAPI plug-in architecture from the Netscape era is now outdated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Hmmm does this mean that the Chrome browser will no longer support Microsoft Silverlight? I believe Silverlight is based on the NPAPI plug-in.

I keep hearing people say that Microsoft Silverlight is dead/dieing - however Comcast uses it a lot for their Xfinity TV web site. Sometimes I really believe Comcast does that because they dislike Google/Google TV -:(

So who will blink first - if Google really removes Silverlight from Chrome - will Comcast still stick with Silverlight?

3. CatfishRivers