Quantcast

Chrome on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by PastorVor, Dec 10, 2011.

1. PastorVor

PastorVor New Member

Just a few thoughts about Chrome on Google TV.

I love Chrome. I use it on all of my PC's. I like the tab management, the automatic upgrades, the look and feel and the syncing. I'm sure there are those that prefer FF or something else and I get that. That's cool. For me, Chrome rocks.

Finally, I got chrome on my Google TV!
    But, this thing is NOT Chrome! It doesn't sync bookmarks, extensions, or apps. There is no bookmark toolbar (critical item), and it pops that darn omnibox up whenever you get anywhere close to the top of the screen, (where all the good links are on the webpage!) It doesn't go away if you move away from it, either.

To top it all off, there seems to be no way, whatsoever, to save a web page element, like a link or a picture. You cannot "right click" "save as" or even "long press" "save as".

I'm not sure how they even call this thing Chrome. It seems as if all of my favorite elements of Chrome were the EXACT ones they left out.

I've done a bit of searching and I've seen others looking for workarounds like myself. I cannot seem to find one. There are no third party browsers that work. I can't seem to get an "extension" to install. And even if I did I have no idea how I would "manage" it. There is no extension configuration link in the Chrome settings dialog.

I understand that I'm talking about a TV, not a PC and that little things like this will happen. But there are a lot of things that just don't work right.
    Even my phone can save an image off of a webpage!

Anyway, thanks for listening. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have and thanks for a very cool forum!

PastorVor

PS: I'm using a recently updated Honeycomb Logitech Review

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The product manager for GTV stated the other day that GTV doesn't currently support Chrome extensions - although he stated that Google is working on bringing this feature to GTV in the future.

Have you seen this thread about browsers in the GTV forum?

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/3689-free-browsers-google-tv.html

I haven't received the update yet so I can't test it myself. It was mentioned that there was a 'tricky' way to get the Dolphin browser to install. Also Maxthon has a TV browser.

3. PastorVor

PastorVor New Member

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I tried the Maxtron Browser and it rendered pages pretty well. The "full" version of the Google stuff looked fine and the "Long Press" "Save as" feature was there. Unfortunantly it caused the browser to crash, every time.