Quantcast

Chrome for Android User-Agent

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Nov 10, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/user-agent

Under our settings/under the hood, there is an option for changing the user-agent to a custom one. Based on catfishrivers recommendation, I changed from the default one to the generic one. Might Google TV users benefit from going "custom" and entering a Chrome User-Agent string? Or is Chrome already what we are using? I was under the impression that GTV uses the Android Operating System, not the Chrome Operating System or the Linux Operating System.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV currently uses a specially modified version of Chrome 11 browser. The Google TV OS is a modified version of android.

I have found that all benefits to be derived from changing the GTV user agent - can simply be derived by changing the user agent to "generic"

This is because certain sites such as Hulu - take the extra step of including the special GTV Flash agent as part of their blocking protocol.

For sites such as Hulu that block GTV in this manner - it makes no difference what you enter into a custom user agent string. The site will always be blocked because it can detect the GTV Flash agent.

For all sites that only take the trouble to block Google TV by the browser (without the Flash agent) - simply changing the user agent to "generic" will do the trick. This includes all the TV stations owned by Viacom and a few others.

Just in case you're curious - the following is the current Google TV user agent string:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.77 Safari/534.24

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BrettDaren

BrettDaren New Member

Sure i will follow your guidelines regarding browsers