Quantcast

Chrome/Flash browser?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by foladar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. foladar

foladar New Member

Has the Revue always had a browser like this? I know it's touted as a full browser, but it seems the flash plugin crashes constantly on most flash pages. And if it does work, sometimes it goes frame-by-frame. I know it's not my connect as my PC has no issues (or laptop), but it seems to be a Revue thing since I've found numerous complaints re: the Flash issue. Are there any fixes in the near future? I guess buying this for the browser wasn't that great of an idea.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This was discussed in a Google+ http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/3658-hangout-rishi-chandra.html

3. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

Rishi Chandra said: "And, unfortunately Google TV is not a PC in that the sense we do not have the same CPU and memory capabilities they got, like we don't have a 250GB hard drive." Google TV isn't the problem. Adobe's Flash is a memory hog. I believe that was the phrase used by Steve Jobs when he "banned" flash from all Apple products!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Technically, he didn't say it was a memory hog. He mentioned poor performance. This is what he wrote in Thoughts about Flash

5. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I guess from a non-technical perspective a CPU hog can be misconstrued as the same thing as a Memory hog. But, no, for all intent and purposes they are two different type of resources. The CPU facilitates processing threads of instructions in terms of speed. Whereas, memory determines the amount of active proccesses at any given time. However, it is true that Android devices have a small portion of these resources in comparison to an actual computer. So, I guess it is easy to ignore their differences.

• Like Like x 4
  7. johnciaccio

johnciaccio New Member

From my experience most zynga web games run bad/laggy. I am sure most people would not even notice but when you are running it on a quad core computer with 4 gigs and it runs like it really shows that flash even with hardware accelerated rendering was never meant to be used for heavy computations and memory tracking. I would rather see them put a built in limit to flash to stop developers from going crazy with these flash games. This would force them to actually write applications not giant flash objects.

Anyways I hope they come out with a farmville app for google tv as my wife plays it and it was one of the reasons I purchased the Revue for. She has a hard time reading on a monitor (23 inch) and the 55 inch tv really helps.

8. madman999

madman999 Member

I believe that it's not the full chrome browser but a scaled down one specifically for gtv. No plugins.

About the flash and shockwave crashes, it's the poorly written flash ads that loop endlessly in the background that probably give us the most grief. If those could be eliminated or managed via a Flash or ad Blocker it would probably solve 99% of the issues. Of course I am not holding my breath waiting for it.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

9. arielch

arielch New Member

I download the app cuevanandroid to watch fimls/series. The app needs to install adobe flash player.
    I tried to install but I can't.
    How can I do ?
    The revue supports adobe flash player ?
    Regards,

Ariel

10. arielch

arielch New Member

Will some GTV devices receive 11.1 ???

11. madman999

madman999 Member

Does not support flash as a browser plug in but flash is built into the version of the Chrome browser.

It is not upgradeable by normal user methods. Any update has to come from logitech or google.

12. tvoogle

tvoogle New Member

I own the logitech revue and i have only begun to encounter this problem since the latest update. You guys are saying that this has been an ongoing problem with Flash but why have i not experienced it until this latest update?

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Probably because there are more and more developers who are updating their apps to function with systems with much greater resources. Ever since Adobe announced that they are giving up on Flash on the embedded systems, there's little reason for the current Flash developers to optimize their webapps for low performance systems. Now, if you haven't seen this issue before then consider yourself lucky. Mobile Flash has never really been "stable" and has always been heavily dependent upon optimized code written by the Flash developer.

14. madman999

madman999 Member

For me I've traded off 1 set of problems for another. Pre honeycomb, I had badly stuttering video and constant crashes. Since the update, the stuttering is there but less and the videos do eventually play or pickup from where they had the error. Sometimes I get audio but no video so need to reload. Other than the update, only other change was a flash setting to dedicate ten megs for caching.

It's not perfect but it does work. Personally I think the issue is caused by too many flash ads wanting 100% cpu and continuously looping. Most web pages have atleast 3 or 4 large banners.