Quantcast

Chome Turns off after Inactivity?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by heartspring, May 3, 2011.

1. heartspring

heartspring New Member

I'm noticing that since the last update (2.1-update 1 firmware, build 165187), if I leave Google Chrome on a web page that is refreshing information, it seems to want to turn it off after a certain period of time and return to the "home screen" (in this case, a screen saying "No HDMI Input").

We are using the TV's as digital signs and this behavior was not observed until the last update. It used to be we could leave the TV's on Google Chrome for an indefinite period of time.

I have the Auto-Off and Inactivity Timer settings turned off, but this seems to be a different issue.

Any insights?

2. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

Not sure about your specific problem but your post intrigued me.

I just implemented a digital signage system but we used low end TV's (32" and up based on location) with an attached Nettop PC (like the Foxconn, Giada, Asus, etc). Our system is an opensource package called Xibo and we've had great success with it. I just thought I would mention it since Xibo would provide a centralized and managed solution for your digital signage (or u can run it standalone on each individual screen/nettop pc).

Right now we are using Windows 7 clients with the Xibo Client front end on each screen with a single Xibo server (acutally a virtual server running on one of our HyperV boxes) that takes care of pushing the layouts to the screens. All managed form one location across a 6 county WAN. I can change the layout (what is displayed / played) on any one individual screen, group of screens or all screens. I can schedule event layouts for special events, push full screen streaming video content and many other things.

I was intrigued to see how you are using Google TV as digital signage. I'm assuming you have it configured to pull the signage content directly from a hosted website?

Take a look at Xibo (Xibo Open Source Digital Signage) and see what you think. If you have many signs you might find it is a good solution for you.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  3. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

I'll add that the costs were very low. My cost for the TV, a Nettop PC, mounting bracket and a couple cables comes in just under $600 per screen. We had existing wireless networks in the building (or pre-wired wired drops for wall mounted TV's) and the HyperV server was already in place. Out licensing for OS's and NOS's is covered in our site wide Microsoft agreement, so you would have to factor those costs in potentially (or you could use the Linux flavored Xibo distributions and avoid MS products alltogether)

4. ryanstoner

ryanstoner New Member

I'm using Google TV (Sony NSX-40GT1) for digital signage as well. I ran in to the exact same problem today, with the TV closing Chrome after a period of inactivity. We don't have any video inputs, so the screen would default back "home" to an empty HDMI input. After trying all the settings I could think of, I called Sony support to see what I was missing. They advised me to do a factory data reset and make sure to select "home" rather than "retail" when choosing the environment. They also had me ensure that I selected the option stating that no supported video input devices are being used. After doing so I have had no problems. You can direct the browser to a URL and the TV won't close it out after inactivity.

We're using Rise Vision to build our signage layout and have been very pleased with it so far. Its a free, open source, web based digital signage platform with Google integration that is fully customizable. I hadn't seen Xibo, but it sounds like you (phantomandy) have a pretty good system going.

5. AdSmacker

AdSmacker New Member

Been here too guys! Im glad you guys are using google TV's for digital Signage! I checked out Rise Vision and it looks pretty cool! My team and I have created our own custom platform that is also really cool! Our platform is more of complete management platform, kinda of like a google apps for digital signage! I'm not sure if you guys user google apps for business but they charge you $x/email you have. we do the same for every screen you have! If you guys are interested send me an email to (evan dot elliott at adsmacker dot co) I may host a product webinar soon!

-------------------

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. EmeraldSkylark

EmeraldSkylark New Member

In the Device Manager go to the Network Adapter and open it up. Go to Power Management and uncheck the box stating "turn off device to save power'.

That should do the trick for you.

softwaredownload1.com